Exit

Glossary question

Contributor ,
Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I notice that when I create a glossary, it looks like this:

I see that it has put a page number - sort of like what an index looks like.

My questions:

Should any page having the term (widget) be listed (not just page 3)?

Should the reader be able to click on any instance of the term and be taken to the glossary?

Many thanks

Ben

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 20, 2018 Jul 20, 2018

Ah, so you're looking for that online help functionality that I mentioned in my response to Barb...

But you want it in the PDF.

I'd suggest creating a static glossary, and then inserting xrefs into your doc to link to that static page in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How are you creating this glossary?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cool - then what do you do to get the image in your first post?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your index of markers is doing what you've told it to do.

Your questions are more style-related than FrameMaker-related.

Should the page numbers show all instances? Probably not in a Glossary. Go to the reference page for the IOM and remove the <$pagenum>

Should it be clickable? Sure, that's a handy thing. To be clickable, you need the glossary marker in each instance of the term.

If exporting to HTML5 or other online formats, I find it handy to use the Glossary and GlossaryTerm markers, but it's a little counterintuitive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matt.

To be clear on my example:

I have several instances of the term "widget" throughout the book.  I have selected 3 instances and applied a glossary marker to each.

What I want to happen is that when the reader comes upon any of these 3 instances, they can click and will be taken to the glossary entry for the term.  But, this is not working for me yet (i.e. there is no click action on any of the 3).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, so you're looking for that online help functionality that I mentioned in my response to Barb...

But you want it in the PDF.

I'd suggest creating a static glossary, and then inserting xrefs into your doc to link to that static page in the PDF.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matt,

I do have a static glossary.  But then looking for other neato things I could do, I stumbled upon FM's auto gen of a glossary and thought I would give it a try.  I have created references so I may take this route.  In any case, it sounds like the reader would not be able to click on the term and be taken to the glossary, it seems the other way around (click on the glossary entry and be taken to the instance of the term found elsewhere in the doc.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, if your glossary is an IOM, I don't know of a way to allow the user to click from the main text to the glossary page in a PDF.

But as I mentioned in another reply, when exporting to Help/HTML5, you can do this.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LOL, that's what I suspected - I was thinking I had missed some "generate glossary" command in there somewhere ;>)

Matt's got the answer for you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Morning, Ben!

I just responded to your inquiry via my blog, but now that I'm seeing this thread, your question makes sense.

Normally a glossary does not have page numbers, although it is the default. To remove them, just remove the <$pagenum> building block from the IOM reference page. (This brings up the question of why do I show them in the screen shot, and I'm sure I was rushing to document the process for the student and didn't notice. I'll cycle back next week to update the screen shot.)

I'm confused by Matt's comment to add a glossary marker for each instance, so maybe I'm misunderstanding—either your question or his answer or both! FrameMaker adds a hyperlink on the alphabetized glossary entry, and it links back to the marker in the body of the document, but doesn't go the other way.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If Ben wants a user to take advantage of the IOM hypertext links for various instances of the term, he'd need to add markers to each instance. However, that wouldn't help much unless the page #s were also included, which then presents its own challenges.

If there are multiple versions of the content (conditional text, multiple books with varied chapters) then it's best to mark all instances as you would regular index entries so nothing is inadvertently omitted.

Also, when producing online output, the markers can be converted to individual glossary links in each instance containing the marker.

***Or just mark an instance that won't be omitted, remove the <$pagenum>, and move on to the next challenge***

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines