• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Graphic frames

New Here ,
Jan 16, 2024 Jan 16, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Gentlemen, thank you all very much for your help on my original isue, following your advice I can now MIF the 5.5 and open them in FM2019.
My next challenge, as I mentioned before I’m new to Frame maker, is that the frames which contain the illustrations have lost their height settings. So, I now have 2 frames with illustration locators in each all on one page, they should be on separate pages. In word I would just stretch the frame and it would all roll on adding new pages as it went, not in FM. Would anybody tell the secret to adding extra pages in a document, so add new pages at 3 and 4 not just the end?  Please see jpg attached
Thanks in advance
Colin

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is the document structured or unstructured? Which of the frames are you resizing? Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Be sure to turn on Text Symbols for screenshots. It's not at all clear what all those borders are bordering.

The gray squares suggest missing images, which raises the question of whether the images in the original FM5.5 doc were copied-into-doc, or imported-by-reference.

If the former, and still present in the FM5.5, it may require some skill to recover them.

If the latter, do they still exist, and are the files in the same file system hierarchy relationship to the current instance of the document?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi @Colin5F98:

Let me start by saying that FrameMaker is hard to teach yourself, and hard to teach via Forum posts. If you have a lot to do in the document, conisder investing in training, which is the best way to get up and running quickly.

That said, In FrameMaker, pages add themselves as you add/adjust content—there is an command to add a page (Insert > Add Disconnected Page) but you want to avoid it unless you have a specific reason to use it. Disconnnected pages cause all sorts of issues for new users. Hopefully, you have not yet gone down that road.

Instead, if you need to add a new page of content between pages 4–5 for example, you click your mouse at the top of page 5 and just add the content (type, import, copy/paste). This new content pushes the original content from page 5 to page 6, and the rest of the document reflows. The page you shared should work the same way, but there's a twist.

There are multiple ways to place graphics. It looks like the author of your document created a 1-column, 2-row table for the graphics, with the borders hidden so you can't tell that it is a table. This approach can be used to make sure the image in the first table cell stays with the caption in the cell underneath. The table structure is why you can't just drag it out to make it taller. Instead, focus on the frame in the first cell—you can increase the height of the frame, which should in turn increase the height of the table row. (Should because one can set a maximum row height.) Assuming that the frame is anchored at insertion point, you may need to also adjust the distance above baseline after you adjust the frame. Now, as per Bob, I don't see an image inside either frame—just a gray box. This usually means that FrameMaker has lost the linked image. Hopefully, you still have the images and can just reimport them. 

So many variables on what seems to be a simple and straightforward question, and this is why I'm saying attending training is a worthwhile investment if you want to use FrameMaker.

~Barb

2024-01-16_18-53-28.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 17, 2024 Jan 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,
Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to my plea for help.
I have been pushed in the deep end to try and see if I can get 5.5 FM files into FM2019.
This graphic issue I believe is my last obstacle. The employer can’t entertain training at the moment.
I’ve managed to resize an Anchored Frame and then the Referenced graphic image within which displays well, all good.
With the frame being 170 X 210mm it created a new page, all good again. But it moved on to the next page showing over the "Intentionally Blank text and leaving the "End of Data Module still at the bottom of the page.
I’ve checked the Master pages and Reference pages and found nothing of interest.
Busy reading help files but not having much success.
Regards
Colin

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Colin:

If this is fixed, just let us know. If not, I'll swing back tomorrow morning to give you some things to look for.

Good to know you are facing down the final obstacle!  😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Colin, your issue will only take a couple of minutes to fix, but since it could be a half-dozen things, it'll be hard to describe. If you'd like, I can set up a quick screen share to fix one or two of your frames. Click on my username and send me a direct message if you'd like me to take a peek at it.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines