Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Heading paragraph cannot be deleted or retagged

Explorer ,
Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello all,

I have at the end of a book chapter a paragraph tagged as head1 with manual overrides (*Head1).

For some reason, I can neither apply a different paragraph tag, nor delete it.

Added after initial posting: Not sure this has any impact, but this tag follows an imported text inset.

Any advice you have will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Donna

Environment: FM2015, version 13.0.5.547 on Windows 7 Pro.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 23, 2020 Aug 23, 2020

Save as MIF.
Open MIF in plaintext editor.
Search for "PgfLocked Yes"
Report back.

Text Insets are not supposed to be edittable in the importing document, and that tag is evidently the control. It can get left in even if the inset is deleted. My old article on it, linked earlier, shows the hack to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you change the text in it?
If not, and you are familiar with MIF, save as MIF, find the para, and see if it has a <PgfLocked Yes> tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

If IIUC, the question is whether I can type text in the tagged section, to that the answer is yes.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With the Para Catalog palette up, try clicking early in the document, and doing a Find by Paragraph Format Override.

If that one gets selected, just apply the desired para format.

The re-find and see if it get re-found as an override.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Okay, tried that and it got selected, but applying the desired paragraph format didn't work. 

It remains *head1 and is still re-found as an override.

This happens also when before applying the paragraph tag I use the Change: Remove Override option in that dialog box.

I added to the initial description of the issue that this tag is on the heels of a text inset. Initally didn't think there was any connection, but now am starting to think that maybe there is.

Still stumped though, as I checked before posting the source of the text inset and there's no head1 paragraph tag there at the end.

*sigh*

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Save as MIF.
Open MIF in plaintext editor.
Search for "PgfLocked Yes"
Report back.

Text Insets are not supposed to be edittable in the importing document, and that tag is evidently the control. It can get left in even if the inset is deleted. My old article on it, linked earlier, shows the hack to fix it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Yep, there was a pesky <PgfLocked Yes> there at the end. So per your article changed it to 'No'.

The problem now is this: MIF for me is uncharted waters, and it seems that roundtripping from MIF back to FM using Save As is not an option. When changing the file extension by renaming the file in Windows, it seemed to work, i.e. I could open the file in FM and change the paragraph tag, but then when adding this file to the book got an unrecognizable format message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usual round trip:
Open .fm in FM
Save as emergency copy just in case (as .fm)
Save as MIF to .mif
Open .mif in notepad or similar
(that adds NO new metadata)
(may need to train Windows)

Make fix
Save (still as .mif)
Open .mif in FM (watching for errors)
If AOK, save as FM to .fm, overwriting originally cranky file

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi again Bob,

Followed the roundtripping instructions you provided, and yes this seems to work 🙂

Thank you very much--appreciate the quick assistance!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's a bit late now, but tomorrow will try what you wrote in that article of inserting text insets with  Reformat Using Current Document's Formats and see if that works and report back. If it works will redo the 7 chapters each with 5 text insets, which are exhibiting this issue.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't know if this is the case for you, but I've sometimes experienced that problem when there is a character tag applied to the paragraph symbol at the end of the paragraph. View > Text Symbols to see the paragraph symbol. If there is a character tag applied, remove it completely, especially from the paragraph symbol. Then try applying the paragraph tag.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 24, 2020 Aug 24, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Barbara, couldn't know if this was the case until I tried. As it didn't fix the issue, it wasn't the case--but this is useful information. Thanks again, Donna

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines