• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Help reset figure numbers in large book (to continue from previous chapter)

Community Beginner ,
Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Good morning: I am helping a colleague with a large manual that was set up in FrameMaker a long time ago (i.e., may have strange formats that were never removed, but difficult to find). My problem: the last chapter of this book does have the page numbers set up correctly (i.e., p one of the chapter is 279), but the figure numbers do not (they start at 1)! It's an auto format,as I tried to update just the number (do it manually out of desperation).

I have been trying to manage the figure numbers using the numbering dialog in the book, or through paragraph format updates, or variables ... I cannot figure that out! Unfortunately, I cannot share the book with you. It's medical device proprietary. Thank you. Deanne Levander

If screen shots of specific settings, etc. (numbering dialog, paragraph designer, etc.) would be helpful, let me know.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Community Expert , Jun 08, 2021 Jun 08, 2021

Hi Deanne, there's probably a different paragraph inadvertently resetting your numbers. I have time to take a peek if you can email me offline. After, we can post the solution.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Was it one of the paragraphs in those tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you share the following with us:

1. Numbering properties for the file in the book.
  2. Numbering properties for the document itself (there might be a conflict).
  3. Autonumber Format of the paragraph style that is used to number the images.

Also, check if the autonumbering format of the first image in the last chapter might have a manual numbering override.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Numbering properties from book attached (Section & Sub-section tabs were grayed out, so not shared). 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Attached are the screen captures of the last chapter's numbering properties.

Note: I found the issue with the 1st graphic in the previous chapter ... it has a manual override (C:Figure <n=211>. ). But the previous chapters do not (the autonumbering setting for all of the other chapters' 1st graphic = C:Figure <n+>). Just to check, I updated the next chapter's first figure autonumber with a manual override <n=213> and that solved the issue for the chapter (subsequent figure numbers were fine).

But it is a workaround, which I do not like to use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hm. Why did you manually set the first figure in the last chapter to an explicitly declared number, instead of fixing the problem in the previous chapter? Wouldn't removing the manual override in the second-to-last chapter (resetting it to C:Figure <n+>) and doing the same for the last chapter fix the problem once and for all?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Stefan ... I tried that, too, but it reset the figure # to figure 1 (in second to last chapter). So  I relented, as this document is already late for a customer. But I will continue to research it because that is the better thing to do. (Just wanted to see if it worked for my colleague, who's been hoping for a solution for > 1 month)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Deanne, there's probably a different paragraph inadvertently resetting your numbers. I have time to take a peek if you can email me offline. After, we can post the solution.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all, 

The solution to the issue is to find an errant paragraph format that was resetting the figure numbers. It generally comes down to that! 

Thanks a lot for the assistance.

Deanne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jun 16, 2021 Jun 16, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Was it one of the paragraphs in those tables?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines