Hi Smart FrameMaker People:
I'm stuck. I have a student using the old chapter numbering: title numbers are defined with H:<n+> vs H:<$chapnum>, which I haven't encountered in years. All the chapters are starting with 1, even after telling the paragraphs to continue numbering from previous chapters in the book window.
That used to work, right? So what am I forgetting?
What are the numbering settings in the book? Sounds like your student's paragraph numbering is being overridden.
ETA: Attaching Dan Emory's short write-up and Lester Smalley's very in-depth write up of autonumbering pre-<$chapnum> days. You already know all this, but it's useful and it confirms your student set things up right.
Thank you for responding. I figured it out—normally, when we update the numbering properties from the book window, FrameMaker initiates an book update and the chapter and page numbers update immediately.
We needed to intiate the book update a second time (using the toolbar button or menu command) for FrameMaker to update the paragraph numbers. This would have happened in a natural workflow where we update the book all day long, but of course this happened when I was teaching and I was thrown off when they didn't immediately update.
Naturally. Glad you figured it out.