• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How can I rename a file (*.fm) in a book without breaking cross references?

Community Beginner ,
Feb 24, 2021 Feb 24, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

How can I rename a file (*.fm) in a book without breaking cross references?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Rename the file in the FrameMaker book window (right click > Rename) and not in the explorer window.

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I renamed the file in the FrameMaker book window. After the renaming, when I click on "Update Book", Book Error Report still shows a lot of  erroes of "unresolved cross-Reference to xxx.fm" . I have to manually click each links to fix the unsolved cross-references. Is there a way to accelerate this process?

Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

emilyhongqi: After the renaming, … "unresolved cross-Reference …

Were all the component files of the Book open when you did the rename?
If so, this is not an expected result.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm. Certainly give that a try, Emily, but I just renamed two files via the book window with all the chapter files closed.  I received this message after each rename:

fm.png

When I opened the renamed chapters, all x-refs were up to date. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb, 

I opened all files. When I renamed one file, it did show the message (as you showed above). However, framemaker didn't really update the cross reference. I still got errors of unresolved cross-Reference. 

BTW, I am using FrameMaker 12. Do you think it might be the issue? 

thank you,

Emily 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Feb 25, 2021 Feb 25, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't it's a Fm 12 issue. You could download the 30-day trial of 2020 to check.

https://www.adobe.com/products/framemaker/download-trial/try.html

Are you sure the cross-references are all working before you start renaming anything? You can use Edit > Find/Change > Find: Unresolved X-refs to check.

Or are any of the cross references to files outside of this book? You might want to look into that as well.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 03, 2021 Mar 03, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb, 

I tried Framemaker 2020. It works well for the renaming fm file in a book. Thank you!

I have another question: How can I split a large *.fm file to two *.fm files in a book without breaking cross reference? 

Thank you!

Emily 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM2020 has a utility to split a file into multiple files. 

File > Utilities > Split Current Document

I haven't used it, but I believe you choose which tag to split on and it does the rest of the work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used the Split utitily, and it works very well! Very fast!

This is also described in the online help:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/index.html#t=using-framemaker%2Fuser-guide%2Ffrm_text_...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Emily:

I'm glad to hear that the renaming worked as expected.

I've never used the split document utility – I just save the file under a new name and add it to the book. Then in the first chapter I delete the second half of the content. And in the second chapter I delete the first half then update the book. If there are any unresolved cross references at that point, I use Edit > References to fix them. 

~Barb 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb, 

I will try to manually split to two fm files as you suggested. 

BTW, I tried "Split current document", it created a mess. I think I give up. :).

Thank you,

Emily 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines