• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How do I turn off smart quotes and keep them off?

Participant ,
Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried turning of smart quotes via Format>Document>Text Options and unchecking smart quotes. This successfully turns them off for the document I have open at the time. But I have to repeat this process for every new document I open otherwise smart quotes are still used. Is there a way that I can set them to off by default?

I'm using FM2017.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

LEGEND , Jun 06, 2017 Jun 06, 2017

IIRC, SmartQuotes are a Document Level property, so to turn these off for future new documents, you would have to change the settings in the template(s) that you use. For existing documents, either import the Document Properties settings from the appropriate template or continue to do this manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC, SmartQuotes are a Document Level property, so to turn these off for future new documents, you would have to change the settings in the template(s) that you use. For existing documents, either import the Document Properties settings from the appropriate template or continue to do this manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Arnis! I create new documents using File>new>DITA>and either task or concept and don't think I can change the template for these, so will continue to adjust the setting manually.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 07, 2017 Jun 07, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can change it in the DITA templates as well. They are fully customizable. You can find the templates in

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2017\Structure\xml\DITA_1.2\app\technicalContent\template

%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2017\Structure\xml\DITA_1.3\app\technicalContent\template

Just copy them to your project location and adjust the path to the template in the Structured Application Designer (> Structure > Structured Application Designer > Select the DITA Application you are using and adjust the template).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Stefan,

Thanks for this. I'd like to understand more about these templates - is there a good reference that you'd recommend to become generally competent using these and the EDD files and the Structured Application Designer?

Kat

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 12, 2017 Jun 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I found the Developing Structured Applications guide, and will go through it. I'm assuming 2015 is the latest version as I can't find 2017?

Thanks again

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 14, 2017 Jun 14, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

In case anyone else needs them, here's the link to the 2017 documentation set for developing applications: Framemaker Developer Center | Adobe Developer Connection

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

To the best of my knowledge, it's handled document by document as you discovered, so the best approach is to edit your template so that all new files based on that template will have the desired setting. (I took a quick look in the maker.ini file and don't see a switch, but it might be worth someone taking another look.)

That said, if you are regularly working with inches and that's the issue, are you aware that you can tap Esc " to access inches and override the smart quotes?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks BarbBinder.
I need straight quotes for code excerpts which no longer work correctly on being copy-pasted if the quotes are converted to curly quotes. I don't need smart quotes anywhere, so will continue to manually turn them off...

Appreciate the quick help

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines