• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to connect the postgresql database server using in extendscript?

Community Beginner ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I need to connect the postgresql database server via extendscript javascript. So I tried with the following code. But error thrown like 'require is not a function'. So please suggests if any ideas.

var pg= require('pg');

var connection = pg.createConnection({ 

host: '', port: '', user: 'test', 

password : 'test', database : 'test' 

}); 

connection.connect();

var queryString = "SELECT * FROM 'ExtendScriptTest'"; 

connection.end();

Thanks,

Latha

I need to connect the postgresql database server via extendscript javascript. So I tried with the following code. But error thrown like 'require is not a function'. So please suggests if any ideas.

TOPICS
Scripting

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Latha,

This is not going to work, as you are using javascript that normally runs in a browser, and ExtendScript is running in the FrameMaker environment, which is definitely not a browser. You need to connect to a server that can retrieve dara and pass it to your script. The socket object is supported in ExtendScript and allows low-level communication to a server. I have used this in the past to connect FrameMaker to an SQL database via a PHP script running on a local server.

I cannot share my code here as it took quite some time to make it work and I do need to make a living out of the programming that I do. If you cannot figure it out with the info above, you can of course contact me direct (jang at jang dot nl) to give you a quote.

Kind regards from Amsterdam

4everJang

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

as Jang mentioned it's not possible by ExtendScript.

For such use cases I develop an FDK plugin, perhaps with DotNet Integration, to make data access more easy than with c++.

Bye

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Markus,

I did not mention that it is impossible with ExtendScript, but it is not possible with the pg object. I made it work using a socket.

Kind regards

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jang,

> to connect FrameMaker to an SQL database via a PHP script running on a local server.

This is not a direct connect, right?

So it's not possible query a database directly. If you want to connect with a database driver you have to go other ways.

Markus

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advocate ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Markus,

Yes, technically that is correct. However, the original question indicated that there is a postgress server already. Either way, the solution will not be free 🙂

Ciao

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines