• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to continue auto-numbering for multiple files in a book?

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My client has different files that I am putting into FM. They all have numbered headings.

How do I set it up so that the file heading increments as I add a file? In the attachment I show that heading 1.0 and 2.0 are actually in the same file so ignore that. However for the News file the heading number does not increment but starts over at one. It should increment the number every time I add a file. So for the News file, in the TOC is should say 3.0 News instead of 1.0. And I need to also increment the page number to start at one for the first chapter and then to increment when I add a file to the book. 

I assume it has to do with Format>Document>Numbering?fix frame TOC.png

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Dec 10, 2022 Dec 10, 2022

Hi,

To continue the numbering of paragraphs or pages in a book right click on the file of a book and select numbering. Then select something like Continue from previous file. (I do not have FrameMaker here.) And then update the book.

Everything is explained in the online help:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/using-framemaker/fm-17/user-guide/topic_book-setup-numbering.html

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

To continue the numbering of paragraphs or pages in a book right click on the file of a book and select numbering. Then select something like Continue from previous file. (I do not have FrameMaker here.) And then update the book.

Everything is explained in the online help:

https://help.adobe.com/en_US/framemaker/using/using-framemaker/fm-17/user-guide/topic_book-setup-num...

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines