Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to not create cgm files during an xml generation from a fm file

New Here ,
Mar 01, 2018 Mar 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I use fm11 and I would like to know if we can avoid that fm generate many .cgm files during a .xml generation

Thanks

Jerome

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jerome, Fm 11 is quite dated, so first, you might benefit from looking at the Fm 2017 trial (v. 14)

Being able to use Code View and other features would be a big benefit, along with better support of popular content models.

Can you tell us more about your setup?

Are you using a custom content model, or something supplied with Fm? (like DITA or S1000D)

Are you saving your files as .fm (FrameMaker binary format), and then using Save as XML, or (easier) are you working with the XML directly?

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for your reply.

I use structured framemaker.

I have .fm file where I generate the .xml by the command « save as xml »

My source document .fm can be custom in term of EDD. I do not have DITA but I see that I have S1000D folder. I do not know what it is.

Regards

jerome

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

jerometodeschini​ - Structured or Unstructured FM?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Jerome,

When you save an FM document as XML, FM creates an element for each anchored frame. Each of these elements has an attribute that identifies the graphic file contained in the anchored frame. If the anchored frame contains a single imported image, the attribute names that graphic file. Otherwise, that is, if the anchored frame contains multiple imported images, or objects created with FM's drawing tools (including callouts added to an imported image), FM creates a new graphics file and sets the attribute to the name of that file. Various read/write rules allow you to control the names and format of these generated files.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines