• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

How to set chapter names in the HTML Help yellow navigation panel?

Contributor ,
Jan 31, 2020 Jan 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using FM2019, I'm generating HTML Help output. At the top of the generated HTML Help document, there's yellow navigation panel where you can click on a chapter (.fm file) to go there.

However, they all have the same title, the name of the document (FM book common.) I want chapter titles instead, the same ones as found in the contents tab to the left.

How can I adjust this?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering , Publishing

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Engaged , Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

I think the answer is that the help is taking information for each chapter from the file information in the Frame file.

i.e. go to the frame maker book, open the file, or right click on it in the book. Choose File Info, and in the Title field, type what you want to appear along the top of the .chm.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC you use your book TOC to create the TOC in your output.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The book TOC? The TOC works fine when generating pdf, HTML, and also the HTML Help contents tab. It's just the yellow panel at the top of the HTML Help that instead of chapter titles has the same document title for all chapters.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of the CHM output that you're talking about?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yellowchmpanel.JPG

To the left, the contents tab has the correct chapter titles, "Introduction" etc. (Each chapter is a separate fm file.)

At the top, the yellow panel has the document name for each chapter. I'd like to have the chapter titles instead, to simplify navigation. (Alternatively, can I just remove this yellow panel somehow? It doesn't add much.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ah, that looks like a "browse sequence" - not sure how you configure that in CHMs.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Feb 01, 2020 Feb 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I think the answer is that the help is taking information for each chapter from the file information in the Frame file.

i.e. go to the frame maker book, open the file, or right click on it in the book. Choose File Info, and in the Title field, type what you want to appear along the top of the .chm.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Feb 03, 2020 Feb 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much, it works!

(And also some other stuff work better now!!!)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

CHMs - who knew?!? 🤣

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Indeed, .chm is less supported and cannot be opened in every case. Why did you choose to use this format rather than responsive HTML  (which also looks nicer?)

(We had one application in the past with chm, as this was an old application, and the help had always been chm.  We also had old WinHelp files once....)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I wouldn't mind switching to responsive HTML, but our Windows documentation contains several chm files. Some of them come from FrameMaker, some of them are generated from other tools, which I have no control of. And they are all merged together into one documentation set.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines