Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting Special Characters

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, everyone:

I am trying to insert a registered trademark symbol in my Framemaker 2019 document, and it's not working.

According to the help, the combination is Ctrl+q Shift+9, but this isn't working. All I get is an e character from the Ctrl+q.

I'm using Arial font.

Please help! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

I am trying to insert a registered trademark symbol in my Framemaker 2019 document, and it's not working.

By @Cynthia Pao

One little question, so many answers!

The shortcut works for me in 2019—remember that is is a sequential shortcut, so break it down into two parts: first tap Control+q (release the keys), then Shift+9 (release the keys). Then the ® symbol will appear.

In addition to the Insert menu and Bob's answers, there is also a button on the Quick Access Toolbar that no one ever no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, dear. Never mind.

I see there is an Insert menu with the option available. I did not think of that before.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cynthia Pao: … insert a registered trademark symbol …

You can also do it as [Alt key] plus [0174], for ®

My personal practice, however, is to use Variables for any characters not on the keyboard, per the convention:
Name: U+1234 FORMAL UNICODE NAME
Definition: \u1234
which for ® would be:

Name: U+00AE REGISTERED SIGN
Definition: \u00ae

These U+ variables all self-sort at the bottom of your Var catalog, so don't get in the way.
This scheme also allows assigning Character Formats where the instant font doesn't populate the code point, or for Unicode SMP characters (U+10000 and up) which FM doesn't support yet, so still have to be implemented in the legacy overlay/codepage manner.

FM has a not-super-useful habit of collapsing the \u notation to the actual Unicode glyph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Cynthia Pao

One little question, so many answers!

The shortcut works for me in 2019—remember that is is a sequential shortcut, so break it down into two parts: first tap Control+q (release the keys), then Shift+9 (release the keys). Then the ® symbol will appear.

In addition to the Insert menu and Bob's answers, there is also a button on the Quick Access Toolbar that no one ever notices!

buttons.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb Binder: One little question, so many answers!

If there was only one way to do it, it wouldn't be FrameMaker.:game_die:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 10, 2024 Jul 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That little button is one of two reasons I even keep the QAT open! 😁

The other is the insert button...

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of the answers are correct, actually. Frame is good that way.

I marked Barb's correct because it is the simple way 🙂

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Jun 17, 2024 Jun 17, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know this is an old post but I hope someone will look at it. I don't have a issues with inserting ≥ in my document. I do this by holding down the Alt key and typing 242. But after I save the file and reopen it I get a ? where it was. Am I doing something wrong saving it or what? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That sounds like the font being used isn't supporting the character you've entered. Or a different font is being subbed in when you re-open the file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alt+242 is the Windows keyboard shortcut to generate codepoint
ò U+00F2 LATIN SMALL LETTER O WITH GRAVE
Even in legacy FM practice, applying Character Format to that would get:
Symbol: ∫ integral
Dingbat: ➲

What you really want to use is
≥ U+2265 GREATER-THAN OR EQUAL TO
which I'd expect most fonts to support, but when they don't, you get "?"
I don't know the keyboard shortcut for Unicode ≥

Use Character Map, Babelmap or FM Character Pallete to inspect your font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Babelmap is an alternative to the Windows character map. More reliable and free. Spelled Babel with el.

https://www.babelstone.co.uk/Software/BabelMap.html

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 09, 2024 Jul 09, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A little late to the conversation, but thought I'd add my experience.

In Afrikaans (I use FM to format my novels and print to PDF for Amazon KDP) we use a lot of diacritics - the most common are ê, é, ô, è, ë. Because of how often they are used, I found using the ASCI code (Alt+...) easier than inserting a variable each time. So far I've not run into any font issues, but then, I use good ol' Garamond.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines