• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is it possible to apply the background color of a line into the whole width of a column?

Participant ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm trying to copy the H1 style utilized in an Indesign document also in my Framemaker document. I've thought that the "Background" color setting in paragraph styles could solve my issue. The problem is that the background color is only being applied to the text and not to the entire width of the column. On Indesign they did use a box for H1 headings and then inserted a text box into it. I think that the paragraph styles won't allow me to automatically combine graphical boxes for specific styles. Also there are some other headings in lower levels (H2 and H3) in the manual which do utilize background colors but not all of them.

I've thought that inserting empty spaces at the end of the line would solve my issue but then realized that this would cause the TOC to also show these empty spaces and also I'm going to utilize some conditional tags in some of these headings which doesn't allow me to understand how many spaces I would require before the exact end of a line.

Do the paragraph style options in Framemaker provide us with a solution to apply the background color to the whole width of a column with text shorter than the column width?

An example of the H1 heading boxes on Indesign is below

Indesign.Main.Heading.Text.inside.Graphic.Box.jpg

What I've tried in Framemaker to achieve the same effect is below (there are empty spaces at the end of the H1 text)

Framemaker.Main.Heading.with.Colored.Background.jpg

TOPICS
FAQ , Formatting and numbering , Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Enthusiast , Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Using "background color" is the wrong approach and only meant for the text itself. Instead, go to the "Advanced" tab of the paragraph designer and choose a color in the Pgf box drop down list. This will create exactly the appearance you're looking for.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 31, 2021 Jan 31, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Spaces might work, but only when you have single lines. When you have two lines, the line with spaces will not have the same width as the first line.

I thought that there will be an option, so that the background has the same width as the text flow. Obviously not.

However, you might create a feature request in the Adobe Tracker and post the link here. Then also others can vote for it.

I recomment to create a table with a single cell and no table title. Set the table width to the width of the text flow. Put the table anchor in a separate paragraph. Select the anchor paragraph and in the Paragraph Designer set the Spacing below to a negative value, e.g. -12 pt. In the Table Designer set the the Top Table Margin to the same negative value. Then the table will be on top of the anchor paragraph, so that you will not have any space before the table.

With the anchor paragraph you can control the position, e.g. top of page.

With the table you can control the background and also cell padding.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using "background color" is the wrong approach and only meant for the text itself. Instead, go to the "Advanced" tab of the paragraph designer and choose a color in the Pgf box drop down list. This will create exactly the appearance you're looking for.

Bernd

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,
Feb 01, 2021 Feb 01, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Exceptional guidance. Much appreciated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines