• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to compare styles between files in different books?

Explorer ,
Dec 03, 2020 Dec 03, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello!

I've updated styles in two different books and would now like to compare the styles from a file in each book to see how the styles differ between the two books. 

Is there a way to do this or do I need to compare style-by-style?

thanks,

Elo

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 04, 2020 Dec 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FrameMaker cannot generate such a report. You would need a script solution for this.

I know that i-frame from itl (requires FrameScript) can do this.

https://www.itl.eu/en/technical-documentation/i-frame-framescript.html

I am sure there are also other solutions.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are non-free plugins available that can do this.

Silicon Prairie's Paragraph Tools plugin can generate a list of all the paragraph tags present in a single document in a table format. You can use it to generate a list for each document then put the results into something like Excel to compare them. This plugin is shareware and costs $10. (https://www.siliconprairiesoftware.com/Products.html)

Rick Quatro's FindChangeFormatsBatch generates a list of all the tags for a document as part of setting up to rename tags. It is not shareware and it costs $49. (http://www.frameexpert.com/store/)

Note: Silicon Prairie's tool can be used to remap paragraph tag names, but both names have to exist in the catalog. If you're looking to rename tags as opposed to remappping them, Rick's script is better because the new names don't have to exist in the document, it will delete the old names if you tell it to, and it works with any tag (paragraph, character, conditions, variables, master pages names, cross-reference names, object styles, conditional expressions, table styles, and marker names.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks! Will look around...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 10, 2022 Apr 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Let's say you have sales reports for two months and you want to view both of them simultaneously to understand which products performed better this month and which did better last month.

To open two Excel files side by side, do the following:

1. Open the workbooks you want to compare.
  2. Go to the View tab, Window group, and click the View Side by Side button. That's it!

By default, two separate Excel windows are displayed horizontally.

To split Excel windows vertically, click Arrange All button and select Vertical:

As a result, two separate Excel windows will be arranged side by side, like in the below screenshot.

If you want to scroll through both worksheets simultaneously to compare data row-by-row, make sure the Synchronous Scrolling option it turned on. This option resides on the View tab, in the Window group, right under the View Side by Side button, and is usually turned on automatically as soon as you activate View Side by Side mode.

Compare two sheets in the same workbook

Sometimes, 2 sheets that you want to compare reside in the same workbook. To view them side by side, perform the following steps.

1. Open your Excel file, go to the View tab > Window group, and click the New Window button.

open-excel-workbook-new-window.png

 

2. This will open the same Excel file in a different window.
    3. Enable View Side by Side mode by clicking the corresponding button on the ribbon.
    4. Select sheet 1 in the first window and sheet 2 in the second window.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Apr 11, 2022 Apr 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This post has nothing to do with FrameMaker. Are you sure you're in the right place?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Spam link hidden in the text @LinSims - reported now.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dang. I didn't even look at the link. I'm usually good at catching those, too.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines