Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Issue when importing Corel X8 file in FM12

New Here ,
Mar 08, 2017 Mar 08, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi All,

I am facing a peculiar issue when I import Corel X8 version files into FM12.

All the open 'curves' are getting closed with unwanted lines.

corel issue.PNG

The process I follow is File > Import > Object > Create from file...

Please let me know if any of you have faced a similar issue and if is there a solution to this issue.

Thanks,

Jayaprakash

PS: I was using Corel V12 till recently and never faced such an issue.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 09, 2017 Mar 09, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What graphics file format?

You appear to be using a vector format. You might try exporting in a different vector format, such as EPS, SVG or PDF, and see if the artifacts are still present. It would also be worth seeing if any other app that can import what you're generating has the same problem.

I used to see this happen from time to time when importing from PTC ProE (now Creo).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the tip.

Yes, I use vector images in my FM files. This problem cropped up when I upgraded my Corel software from V12 to X8.

Even though I was following the same process, I never faced any issues when I was working with V12 version of Corel.

Adding one more step in our process will make a lot of difference as we link the source files in FM. The source files are also uploaded to a server. We will have to maintain two sets of files for the same illustrations; one Corel and one EPS.

This is the reason I looking for a fix to this problem.

Regards,

Jayaprakash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using any type of OLE approach has been problematic with FM. I've always used EPS files exported from Corel Draw without any issues.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Thank you for the info.

Since we have used Corel directly in the earlier version, without any problem, creating an EPS out of Corel file will only add steps in our process.

As we upload our source files to a server, we will have to maintain two sets of files for the same illustration. This will be a pain in the wrong places.

This is the reason I am looking for a fix to this problem.

Regards,

Jayaprakash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you tried specifying version 12 when doing a Save As in Corel Draw? It might be something Corel did in later file .cdr versions that is impacting the OLE rendering in FM.

Saving the EPS from Corel really isn't an onerous task. I've worked with thousands of graphics this way over the years. The EPS export settings are sticky, so it's a set it once and forget it route. Use ctrl+E, then Enter and you're done.

Properly planned/constructed libraries and/or digital asset management (DAM) tools go along way to keeping graphics organized, findable and maintainable.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Yes, I did a save as of the Corel file into V12. Even then I am facing the same issue.

Even then I am facing the same issue.

I don't mind saving the file as an EPS. However, this additional step is not in line with our process.

There are three writers working globally in our team.

I am the only one to upgrade to Corel X8. One team member who has upgraded to X6 is not facing any issue.

Since the timeframe to upgrade Corel was different, we couldn't get the same versions.

Thanks,

Jayaprakash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 10, 2017 Mar 10, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Prakash1311​, you're seeing reason I very literally used to make clients sign a waiver when using Corel Draw in prepress (creating film to be used in commercial printing).

• Curves get "flattened" into facets
  • paths get "closed" at random.

While I understand that it happened because of your Corel upgrade, this is less of a FrameMaker problem than it is a PostScript Printer Driver problem.

ONE IMPORTANT THING TO CHECK:

Are you using the Adobe PDF driver? If you're using another driver, this could be the cause of your issue.

There are some things that I learned over 20 years ago:

1. Corel Draw files sometimes have "leaks" in their vector files. The best way to understand this is to consider
    • the segments of a curve (perhaps a spline?) are flattened into a series of straight lines, which is visible in your example
    • polygons aren't always properly closed. This often created "spikes", sometimes many inches long, when using film-based imagesetters. Frustrating and expensive to have to replace images and rerun output. In this case, the postscript driver assumed you wanted your path closed, instead of leaving it as two segments without the thrid side of the triangle.
  2. OLE is notoriously unreliable. I've avoided it at all costs in both FrameMaker and in InDesign. I suppose I also avoid in MS Office, but I do that by not using MS Office.

If you are looking to get the smoothest workflow, consider doing the art in Adobe Illustrator, and importing the .AI files into FrameMaker (or InDesign). Here's a video showing how this saves time, and it's a workflow that has never failed me (your mileage may vary!)

See Video #9 at Tech Comm Suite Product Integration Videos  for details.

-Matt

techcommtools.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 12, 2017 Mar 12, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the detailed response about the problem I am facing with my Corel X8 upgrade.

Yes, I am using the Adobe PDF driver to generate my PDFs.

I completely agree with your view on using AI to create graphics.

However, I am part of a global team and all of us are using the same software.

As I am using the Adobe PDF driver, are there any settings which I can change to nullify these closed path issues?

I also want to point out that I am facing this issue when I import the Corel file in FM. I have not yet generated the PDF.

Thanks,

Jayaprakash

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 13, 2017 Mar 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I never found an acceptable solution to the issue.

What I did see, when processing files for use in high end digital prepress systems was the flattening of curves, (turning curves into polygons that resembled curves) even with raw Corel files.

I'm with Arnis on the wisdom of getting to an EPS (or PDF) format so that you know what you're bringing in. I know it's tough to give up on placing the original, but it seems like you're already losing more than you are gaining with the processing issues.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines