• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Link in Table of Contents Not Working

Community Beginner ,
Nov 10, 2020 Nov 10, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings FrameMaker community! My team is currently using FM 2019 and we're working on finalizing a product for a customer this week. The problem is that some of there are five sections/chapters in the Table of Contents (TOC) that are not linking to the corresponding page of the document where its supposed to jump to. In the Error Report is states "Could not open section XXX because it uses unavailbe fonts". The entire document is written in ariel font by default, but I'm suspecting that the source formatting was done in a different incompatible font before it was imported into the document. Not sure how or why this would impact the links in the TOC render them dead. Any ideas? 

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really need to proofread before I hit the "post" button. It should read: My team is currently using FM 2019 and we're working on finalizing a product for a customer this week. The problem is that there are five sections/chapters in the Table of Contents (TOC) that are not linking to the corresponding page of the document. In the Error Report it states "Could not open section XXX because it uses unavailable fonts". The entire document is written in ariel font by default, but I'm suspecting that the source formatting was done in a different incompatible font before it was imported into the document. Not sure how or why this would impact the links in the TOC and render them dead. Any ideas?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

1. Type Esc vpf (in sequence, do not hold the Escape key down) to open the Fonts pod/panel (also View > Pods/Panels > Fonts). The Fonts pod/panel (depending on version of FM) is displayed with the Fonts tab showing by default.
  2. Select any font that isn't Arial from the list, then click the Replace Font tab.
  3. Select Arial from the Replace with drop-down.
  4. Click Apply.
  5. Repeat for each font you don't want.
  6. Save the file, then import page layouts, tables, paragraph and character tags, and possibly your reference pages from the updated file to the other files with the issue.

DO NOT REPLACE any special font you use for glyphs not contained in Arial (Segoe UI is a favorite for glyphs not available in other fonts), 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, and I forgot, you might want to check for paragraph or character tag overrides after making the replacements.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We're seeing no list of fonts to pick from: Screen Shot 2020-11-10 at 11.37.49 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Huh. That's peculiar. I assume your cursor is in the active document? What happens if you click the Refresh button?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was able to reproduce this by having the book file selected instead of a document file. Try putting the cursor in an active document.

Also, if you click the Filter button, you can tell it which document you want to examine or you can select all documents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Couldn't you just do the traditional "unavailable fonts" method to have FM pick the font to sub in for the unavailable one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jeff, what's the traditional "unavailable fonts" method? Sorry, but I'm working remotely and currently not sitting behind a machine that has FM installed on it (iMac). I appreciate your help. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit > Preferences > deselect "Remember Missing Font Names". 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi,

Here is also some info about the Remember Missing Font Names option:

https://helpx.adobe.com/framemaker/kb/unavailable-fonts-have-substituted-every.html

Klaus Daube wrote a very complete list of objects which can have unavailable fonts:

https://www.daube.ch/docu/fmaker32.html

When you cannot get rid of these messages (there are stubborn objects), then open these files before you update your book and before you save as PDF.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines