• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Make selectable text in pdf images publish as selectable text in html5 publishing

Community Expert ,
Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker 2019, Win64

I am publishing a manual with a lot of technical drawings imported as pdf files. The technical drawings (pdf files) all contain a lot of numbers. I have performed OCR on the drawings and saved them as pdf files with active text "hovering" above the numbers.

I am hoping to publish the manual as html5 and have the active text in the pdf come along i the HTML5 output as active, selectable text. Only I can not make it work.

I wonder whether there is a workaround to accomplish this? Is it possible to perform OCR on the final HTML5 output for instance?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 26, 2018 Nov 26, 2018

These are embedded PDF content, or external linked objects?

Presuming embedded, and not having played with the HTML workflow in a recent FM versions, my first question is: how does FM export PDF objects? If they are being converted to fully compliant HTML5 objects, I suspect a lot of metadata is lost.

You might try converting some of the PDFs to SVG. SVG supports internal hypertext, and FM is supposed to be able to pass SVG through undamaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

These are embedded PDF content, or external linked objects?

Presuming embedded, and not having played with the HTML workflow in a recent FM versions, my first question is: how does FM export PDF objects? If they are being converted to fully compliant HTML5 objects, I suspect a lot of metadata is lost.

You might try converting some of the PDFs to SVG. SVG supports internal hypertext, and FM is supposed to be able to pass SVG through undamaged.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

SVG was the thing! 🙂

The question was part of a larger workflow project, and merely exporting the pdf's as svg was what made the entire job work.

Thanks very much for your help!

Best regards

Bjørn

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines