• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Migrating to latest version

New Here ,
May 27, 2021 May 27, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My company uses structured FrameMaker 12 and is hiring a new technical writer who doesn't have FrameMaker experience. They are also upgrading from FrameMaker 12 to the latest version. There are templates for most of the jobs and all of the files used to produce manuals are in a vault. Since all of the procedures to produce a manual are documented, would it be better to start the inexperienced writer with the old version and then upgrade and get him training on the new version?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I would get the writer started with the latest version. There aren't likely to be many differences in the procedures and, where there are, you can use this opportunity to update the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Rick,

You type too fast.

No love,

Me 😉😊

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Dear Lin,

It might be the opposite. 🙂

Much love,

Me

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Assuming the newest version will be available when they come on board, I'd just start them off with that. The changes between FM12 and FM16 do not make 16 any harder to learn than 12. If FM16 won't be available until sometime after they come on board, starting them off on FM12 will give them sufficient grounding that moving to FM16 won't be a big deal. (Now, if you were still working with versions 8 or earlier, that would be a different story. 😉)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines