• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

My numbering auto start at page 9 in Adobe Frame Maker, How to make it continue.

Engaged ,
Jul 07, 2023 Jul 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My numbering auto start from page 9 in Adobe Frame Maker, How to make it continue. I am using FM 2022 version. I did format> document>numbering> continue from previous chapter, select auto number in paragraph designer, but nothing happended. Please guide. I sharing the screenshot.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Hi Amit:

Here's the FrameMaker rule that tripped you up: you can have a multiple numbering series in a single file, but you are only allowed to have one unnamed series. All other series need to begin with a character and a colon to differentiate them from each other. This is called a Series Label.

In your document, you have numbered headings as one series, and you have an alphanumberic list as a second series. I added an L: to both of the paragraph styles in your list, and that took care of

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Your numbering scheme does not look right in the screenshot you have provided. Numbering can be controlled on the book level and the document level. I believe you need to look at your books numbering properties. This is what the numbering code should look like. Or something akin to this:

StudioSm_0-1688720653347.png

Bjørn Smalbro - FrameMaker.dk

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amit;

Your cursor is in a body paragraph in that screenshot so we can't see how your numbering is set up. Click in the heading and share another one please.

If that looks OK, then be sure that you return to the book file, select chapters 2 through the end, right click the selected chapters in the book file and choose Numbering > Continue from Previous File in Book, and then update the book. Does that take care of it?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 08, 2023 Jul 08, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that, but nothing happened. pls check the screenshot in the attachment.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,
Jul 09, 2023 Jul 09, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb, I've mailed you the file. Please check and reply.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amit:

Here's the FrameMaker rule that tripped you up: you can have a multiple numbering series in a single file, but you are only allowed to have one unnamed series. All other series need to begin with a character and a colon to differentiate them from each other. This is called a Series Label.

In your document, you have numbered headings as one series, and you have an alphanumberic list as a second series. I added an L: to both of the paragraph styles in your list, and that took care of the issue. You could do it the other way, if you prefer: add an H: to your heading styles and leave the lists alone.

The key is to note that these are two separate lists, and FrameMaker cannot differentiate between them, unless you tell it to.

~Barb

2023-07-09_13-09-47.gif

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Yes, your solution worked like a champ. Thank you very much!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines