• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Need HTML5 template

New Here ,
May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looking for simple Responsive HTML5 OLH template with side TOC. 

TOPICS
Responsive HTML5

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 08, 2019 May 08, 2019

Since I don't use this Publish route to create online help (I'm a FM to RH import workflow) I don't know what else you can try. I'm pretty sure I've seen this dealt with before - you might try more searches in the forums or check out Matt Sullivan's site on techcommtools.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What version of FM? They're all baked into whatever version you've got, starting around FM11 or 12, IIRC.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have FrameMaker 2017.  I have incorporated the "baked into" templates and they do not work like my software folks would like them to.  When you click on an element in the template, it lists the element again and then you click on that item.  Too many levels.  It may be how I am building my help.  Looking for help ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you post a screenshot of what you've got and how it's behaving?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See how it displays contact information, than you have to open contact information to get to the link to it.

Thanks for trying to help me!

Ellen Z

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are too many limititations with the baked in templates. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can you show the Table of Contents (TOC) from the FM document? I believe that's the basis of the output's TOC structure.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That looks like your .book structure - what's the TOC look like?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where would it be.  I am relatively new to FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Isn't my book structure my TOC?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, the TOC is a generated file (like the index or list of references, etc.) In FM12 it's hiding in the Special menu; in FM2017 it may have moved around.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How does the generated TOC get associated with the published HTML5?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

IIRC you select it in the Publish > Settings choices.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is not found in 2017, as far as I can tell.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm not sure - I don't have a copy of 2017 to play with right now. If you just paginated on paragraph tags, what do you have associated with those headings of "Introduction", "Dashboards", "Alerts", etc.?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have not paginated this project because it is strictly on line.  Though you can break content into topics based on the heading in the publish settings.  Is there something different that I have to do there?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

"break content into topics based on the heading in the publish settings" - that's called pagination. What paragraph tags are those headings I mentioned? They would be the expected top-level indicators in your online help, I would think.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I did that and it does not work how I expect.  For example, I would like Overview to be a top level in my online TOC with Contact Information, Top Bar Features and Ease Of Insight Interface as subheading.  I have Overview assigned at Heading 1 and each of the others as Heading 2.  But I do have them in separate pages (topics). I am not sure it makes any difference.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Wouldn't you want "Introduction" as the top heading and then Overview, Contact Info, Top Bar Features, What You Can Do all as sub-topics?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is part of my problem.  They are categories without content and yes it might be helpful to have them as the top level in the TOC, however from what I can tell groupings and folders do not appear in the publish TOC.

And if I put them in it is just another level upon which the user will have to click to open up the next level.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, so what happens if you just paginate on the Heading1 "Overview" & skip selecting Heading2 - does that produce more what you want to see?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Trying that now. Though I swear I tried that before and it is not exactly what I am looking for.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, I conducted a test where I combine the topics listed in my previous book into the following topics and I break into TOC topics in the publish settings by Heading 1.

When I set it up to do that, this is what I get, which is closer to what I am looking for.

If I could only address the redundant issue you see above, I would probably be good to go.

Ellen

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since I don't use this Publish route to create online help (I'm a FM to RH import workflow) I don't know what else you can try. I'm pretty sure I've seen this dealt with before - you might try more searches in the forums or check out Matt Sullivan's site on techcommtools.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines