Exit

Opening XML files when structure files is on Sharepoint

Community Beginner ,
Jun 12, 2019 Jun 12, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi

Not sure if i should post this in here or on the CMS forum but,

I am having trouble opening XML files when the structure files is on Sharepoint.

Since we have multiple users it would be beneficial if the structures we are using are online. If they are online, instead of locally, we don't have to to manually go on every computer and update the files.

Questions:

1. Is this even possible?
  2. Is the path i have added wrong? I have not found any info regarding URLs in structapps file.

I have connected FM to SP Online via Connection Manager and can open, edit, checkin and checkout FM files just fine.

I have put the structure files in a folder on Sharepoint, and added a path (URL) in structapps.fm which points to the files.  When opening XML files it seems to locate the structure files, but in the console it says "cannot open template".

In structapps the path looks like this:

Template: https://xxxx.sharepoint.com/:f:/r/sites/GroupName/List%20Name/Folder%20Name/xxxxxTemplate.fm

I have tried different variations changing %20 with spaces and removing /:f/r/ and more, but its always the same outcome.

Other question:

Is the connection manager "activ" when FM is using the structapps file? Becasue using the Connection Manager requires login to SP. If its not using that connection I suspect it cannot open the template file.

If this is the case, how can i get around that?

Is there some other way to do this that i am overlooking?

Thanks for help!

Regards

Oscar

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 13, 2019 Jun 13, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oscar

it is advisable to keep the template files on the disk. Structapps file gets loaded when FM launches and then it queries again basis the XML file and structured application when it loads.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jun 14, 2019 Jun 14, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Amitoj

Thanks for answering, but i have further questions

Why is it advisible? I can't see why it will make a difference where the files are located. If i make a change to the files, then i have to copy them and go around to every computer and paste them manually. Or push out an update.

This is not just the template file its the whole structure for a certain type of documents. I dont know if i should have specified this.

This all very new to me, and i'm trying to make things more efficient.

Regards Oscar

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jun 16, 2019 Jun 16, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Oscar,

Mostly in my interactions with customers, they have kept the template and structured application folder hierarchy on a drive (network or local). I think we can wait for few other framemaker experts to confirm, what is the correct approach here.

thanks

Amitoj Singh

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Mentor ,
Jun 17, 2019 Jun 17, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Oscar,

I don't really know the technical details of what works and what doesn't with regard to your idea. But it does seem less optimal to me, given the amount of processing that takes place to render XML in FrameMaker. That is, even if it did work, I suspect the performance would be very poor.

What I would do is write a small ExtendScript that copies the latest files down from SharePoint each time I opened FM. This could happen completely automatically at every workstation, keeping everyone up-to-date and retaining normal performance. I don't know if you are willing to explore that route, but it would probably be a very short script.

Let me emphasize that I don't use SharePoint and all of this is just throwing out some ideas. I would not know how feasible anything is unless I actually tried to put something in practice.

Russ

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines