• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Page numbering not updating in book

New Here ,
Nov 29, 2022 Nov 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have a document in a book that says it has pages 23 - 30 where as the document only has pages 23 - 27. How can I get the book numbers to update. I have tries Book Update and Format/Documents/Numbering and neither of them are updating it.

Image shows 'Pages: 23 - 30' and the last page shows 27.

Can I be told what I need to do.

Many thanks

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

How have you got your numbering properties set?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

See attached, thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does the status line update after you save the book?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No  it does not.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul,

are there pages without the page-numbering variable in that file?

Best

Stephan

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, I have checked that. The only way of getting around this is to delete the document and reinserting it into the book. It then looks correct. I'm sure this is not the way I should be doing it.

Many thanks

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Are you setting the document numbering in the book or in the file? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have tried both ways.

Many thanks

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you regenerate the book, do you get a message about inconsistent numbering properties?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK. My suggestion is that you do this in the book file.

Right-click on the first chapter and select Numbering. Go through all the tabs and make sure the numbering is set correctly and click Set.

Select all the other files as a group and do the same thing.

Save the book file and see what happens when you regenerate.

My other thought is that something may be wrong with the <$curpagenum> variable in that file. To check that, I'd reimport the page layouts and system variables from a known good file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, did you check the numbering and numbering properties of the file BEFORE this file? A lot of numbering issues are actually caused by an earlier file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The earlier document is fine. To be clearer, I did Pagitation/Delete empty pages, then did a book numbering and as I said the document is correct, but the book numbering is not. Does this mean I have to delete the document if I remove pages and reinsert it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does this mean I have to delete the document if I remove pages and reinsert it?

No, you do not. Something isn't right, but it's not clear to any of us, so far. We haven't eliminated user error or bug or corruption—any are possible. But if removing/adding back the file works, and lets you move forward, you could do that for now. 

And to be clear, you are selecting the files in the book window before choosing Format > Document > Numbering > Page? You are not doing this at the document level, you are doing this at the book level? And the Console isn't reporting any error messages?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Just to confirm, the first file has 22 pages in it, and this file has 5 pages, and the issue is that despite showing the correct page number on the page in the file, the information on the book file is reporting that it has 8? Are all the files set to either single-sided or double-sided? 

If none of the previous ideas worked, I would suggest closing deleting the BOOK file, then create a new book file. There might be something wonky with it. (That's the technical term.)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Paul, and welcome to the community forums. Did you check the footer in that file? Is it using the <$curpagenum> variable on the master page or did someone hand-number the file? (I've seen it before.)

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello Barb,

It is using the <$curpagenum> variable on the master page.

Many thanks

Paul

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines