Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Portrait and Landscape to pdf

New Here ,
Mar 07, 2018 Mar 07, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

My framemaker 12 document has mostly portrait pages with a few landscape pages  to accommodate large tables. When I save to PDF, the landscape pages get cut off at the same width as the portrait pages so the columns get cut off. How can I get each page to print to pdf in the correct way?

Thanks for any help you can give!

Abby

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Keep the pages portrait but rotate the content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Mar 08, 2018 Mar 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There are 10 columns in the table, so the information will get too crunched if I try to make it portrait. Thank you for your response!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

HI Abby:

I have not had that experience:

Fm 2017

Screenshot 2018-03-07 18.47.47.png

Acrobat Pro DC

Screenshot 2018-03-07 18.49.58.png

How did you rotate the pages, and how are you creating the PDF?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

The document was created by someone else with much more FM experience than me so I'm not sure how she rotated them. There are 10 columns so I'd like to keep it as landscape, otherwise the information will get quite crunched.

To create the PDF, I go to File - Save as PDF - select the place to save it - when the PDF Setup window appears, I select View Generated PDF in Acrobat, then click Set.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Abby:

Do you have rotated master pages in the file?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

Yes I do.

Abby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, Abby, so it must be something in the PDF export. I have used rotated pages in Fm (and output to PDF) for years without issue, so I'm not sure where this is going awry. I just reviewed my Adobe PDF Settings, and it is all set to portrait.

Do you have Acrobat installed, or are you using the PDF conversion utility that comes with FrameMaker?

Are you able to output just the landscape pages correctly?

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Acrobat is installed on the computer, and I'm able to output just the landscape pages correctly. I've manually added them into the document in the past, but then the hyperlinks to them throughout the document break.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, Abby, I'm out of ideas, but the beauty of this forum is that lots of us read these questions and someone may well come along shortly with exactly what you need.

In the meantime, if this were my file, I think I might uninstall/reinstall Adobe Acrobat DC. I've always used the defaults, and it just works. Oh—are you using a custom job options file?

As a heads up, you can replace pages in a PDF without breaking the links to those pages. This would be good only until you get this figured out but might be helpful if your deadline is looming.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank  you very much for your help, Barb!

Now I'm curious - how can I replace the pages without breaking the links?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Use Replace Pages instead of deleting the current ones and adding new ones:

• Convert the landscape pages as their own PDF
  • Open the file with the truncated landscape pages in Adobe Acrobat
  • View > Show/Hide > Navigation Panes > Page Thumbnails
  • Select the page thumbnail(s) of the page(s) you want to replace.
  • Right click over the selected page(s) and choose Replace pages

The links are on a top layer, and this replaces the content layer underneath.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This sounds like a problem that is specific to your machine. (a setting, or a scrambled connection 'tween Fm and the PDF generation process)

If it's an option to send me the file, I'm happy to process it in Fm12 to see if I get the same result.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Matt,

Thanks for your offer of help; unfortunately I can't send you the doc.

Abby

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries,

My plan was to check through the settings in both the Save as PDF workflow, and the Print workflow.

Check out my post at FrameMaker PDF Tips and Tricks - Tech Comm Tools for a comprehensive look at how I produce PDF from Fm.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines