• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Previous page headings for page Running headers if topic has widow at top of page.

Community Beginner ,
Feb 16, 2022 Feb 16, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There should be a way, by checkbox or something, to have "Running header from last on previous page if widow."

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can put it in as a feature request. Or you can talk to Rick Quatro, he wrote me a very nice script that used the <marker#> variable to update headings to reflect what I wanted.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for prompt reply, I did put in a feature request, but the script sounds like it could do it. Do you have a contact for Rick Quatro?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@frameexpert, can you help this gentleman out? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mind you, the script is tailored to what I want, which in this case is to have the chapter title on one line, the major heading underneath, and a subheading under that.

• The chapter title appears on every page in the file
  • The 2nd line is the major heading from the current page (if one appears) or from the pages before (if none appears)
  • The third line is the subheading from:
    • the current page (if one appears on the current page without a new major heading after it on that page)
    • the current page (if one appears AFTER a new major heading)
    • the first subheading on the current page (if there are multiple subheadings but no new major heading)
    • the previous pages (if neither a major heading nor a subheading appears between when it first showed up and the current page)
    • not at all (if there is a new major heading but no subheading on the current page)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My setup is similar, with a main header Running H/F 1 of the chapter and a subheader below with Running H/F 2 as <$paratext[head_1,head_2,head_25,head_3]>  to pick up the last one of those defined headings. However, there are times when the topic from the previous page bleeds over to the top of the page, so that the header doesn't match the content, but rather uses the first one it comes to further down. There must be a way to specify that "if bleeds, use last on previous page."

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

He could probably adapt the script he wrote for me to do that. I wanted to have the first/most recent heading at whatever level in the header and did NOT want to have a subheading show up if a new main heading without a subheading appeared on the page, because that implied that subheading appeared under the new main heading as well as the prior one, and that irked me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I get it, that's why I avoided third level headers, but even second level can cause a predicament, because people use the header as a guide to content.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines