Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem adding space/tabs to pagenumber in TOC

Community Beginner ,
Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I'm trying to add some space between the title and pagenumber in my TOC but it just won't work. If I look in the reference pages, it to me seem correct.

<$paranumonly> <$elemtextonly>...................... <$pagenum>
<$paranumonly> <$elemtextonly>....................... <$pagenum>
<$paranumonly> <$elemtextonly>....................... <$pagenum>

However, it looks like this:

3 Konstruktion och Funktion 3
3.1 Radiolänkenhet 3
Anslutningar 4
3.2 Antenner 4

Is this not correct as there are already tab stops in the reference pages? Just can't get this document to work.

There was no need to add tab stops to the reference pages as it was created by FM in the setup of the TOC. There seem to be different tab stops in the reference pages and the body pages so is this correct? 

I tried adding another tab but no matter how I try it'll only add space between the title number and title.

Thanks!

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 14, 2020 Jan 14, 2020

Hi Maria,

What I noticed:

Your paragraphs had a left indent of 3 cm for heading1 and 3.5 cm for heading2. As the tab position is calculated from the beginning of the line, the position of the first tab must be something like 3 cm + x, e.g. 3.5 cm for heading1, 4.2 cm for heading2.

You have a right indent of 2.5 cm. The text frame has a width of 11.6 cm. Therefore there isn't a lot of space for the heading. I suggest something like 9.1 cm (right aligned) for the second tab.

You have a space bef

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

How many tabs do you have in the single paragraphs on your reference page? I assume two: one between <$paranumonly> and <$elemtextonly> and one between <$elemtextonly> and <$pagenum>.

In the paragraph designer these two tab stops should be set.

Update your book and then go to the body page of your TOC and edit the tab stop there.

On the reference page the paranumonly place holder has much more characters than you your actual numbering. Therefore this will not work on the reference page. The position of the tab stops is the position from the start of the line. The position is not relative to any other tab stops.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks.

So I've set the tab stops on the body pages to match the reference pages, was this correct? Nothing changes when I do this though..

I've solved this in the past by importing formats from another TOC but that doesn't seem to work here either. This document is in an A5 format so not sure if that's why as I normally work in A4.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Yes. Enter tabs on your reference page:

<$paranumonly>\t<$elemtextonly>\t<$pagenum>

Where there is \t here, there should be a tab.

Then go to the body page and update your TOC.

Then place your insertion mark in one of the paragraphs of the TOC on the body page and edit the tab stops. E.g.:

first tab stop 2 cm, left aligned

second tab stop the width of your text frame, right aligned (possibly you must set the position of this right aligned tab stop to the text frame width minus 1 mm)

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, I just can't get it to work.

My tab stops are set 1,9 L and 10,6 R on both reference pages and body pages. Nothing happens when I change the tab stops....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

How do you change the tab position? You must do this with the paragraph designer. Then press Update Style.

What's the width of your text frame?

Are there really tabs in the paragraphs on your body page?

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I do the changes in Paragraph designer. I've tried to attach a screenshot of the tab stops I have but they don't show when I post so I'll try again.

Tab stops.jpg

Text frame is 14,8 x 21,0

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

Please send me your TOC file via e-mail.

I sent you a private message.

You wrote the text frame width is 14.8 cm. I think this is the width of the page (DIN A5).

Best regards

Winfried

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Maria,

What I noticed:

Your paragraphs had a left indent of 3 cm for heading1 and 3.5 cm for heading2. As the tab position is calculated from the beginning of the line, the position of the first tab must be something like 3 cm + x, e.g. 3.5 cm for heading1, 4.2 cm for heading2.

You have a right indent of 2.5 cm. The text frame has a width of 11.6 cm. Therefore there isn't a lot of space for the heading. I suggest something like 9.1 cm (right aligned) for the second tab.

You have a space before the tabs. Delete this space. Its just irritating.

You have 5 tabs before the page number. 2 are sufficient. With 2 tabs way the tab stop is observed also for headings with a line break.

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Thank you, I've applied your changes to my document and finally got it working.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines