• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Problem Importing PDF Comments

New Here ,
Aug 12, 2009 Aug 12, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I continue to have difficulties importing PDF comments.

FrameMaker 9.0 p237

Acrobat 9 Pro Extended

1. I export a book to PDF, I make sure that "Save PDF for Review Only".
  2. I make some comments in Acrobat 9 Pro (also used Acrobat Reader 9)

I try to import the comments back into the FrameMaker file and all textual comments are misplaced.

I have some other books that don't import the comments at all and one that even hangs FM when importing comments.  I have not had this work successfully on any documents.  Is this feature complete?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The following:

http://help.adobe.com/en_US/FrameMaker/9.0/Using/WS84144A47-0C79-46f0-9909-B6AB5E45439C.html

is the link in the help file concerning importing comments. The most important features mentions is that use must create a tagged pdf file and that the Frame File must be unchanged since creating the pdf file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, I have been following the direction given completely, but I continue to have issues.  We are having issues getting this to work consistently.  I've even had issues exporting, making a comment and reimporting immediately.  Sticky notes come in OK, but the text edits keep getting misplaced (just put in the first file of the book).

It seems to be worse when the file is sent out for shared review.  The only way I have been able to get the comments back is to reimport the shared review comments back into the first PDF exported and then import the comments into FM from there.  Many are still misplaced.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Guide ,
Aug 13, 2009 Aug 13, 2009

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike,

Regarding shared reviews...

The comments that reviewers add are stored in XML files, not in the _review PDF, which is likely why Frame cannot import them. You can always create an _archive PDF that moves the comments from the XML files into the PDF, which you can then import into Frame.

Of course, this does not answer the other issues you are having.

Van

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Sep 19, 2011 Sep 19, 2011

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I have FrameMaker10, Acrobat Pro10 and SharePoint 2007.  I too am having no luck importing comments back into the FrameMaker files from the tagged PDFs I am creating.  It goes through the motions of importing and shows me an import summary screen, but I see nothing has been imported.

Mike, I see your post was over two years ago and you are using a different version, but might you have found a solution outside the forum?

Thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but no, we haven't found a solution to this issue. We have just

given up on being able to import the comments.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Mike / Akari,

I am from FrameMaker team and would like to investigate the issues you are facing. Can you please send some test files on which you are observing these issues to rabansal@adobe.com.

Regards,

Rajat Bansal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Aug 16, 2012 Aug 16, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For future researchers of this problem, I emailed Rajat Bansal at Adobe and have not gotten a response. I am also not able to import PDF comments successfully into FrameMaker 10. I'm not a newbie. I have followed the instructions, but keep getting a message saying "The modification date of the source file is newer than creation date of the tagged PDF. PDF comments may not be imported correctly." When I open the FrameMaker file, the modification date changes!! So how do you stop it from doing that? I do have cross-references in the file that probably update the minute I open it up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Rajat,

I am with the Frame techsupport  team and its  actually  right,we have noticed that its intermittent and sometimes it gets imported and sometimes not.

Mike/Akari

Kindly share the files to tcssup@adobe.com as well.

Regards

Harpreet

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi LinMarie,

Unfortunately Rajat left Adobe over a year ago, so no wonder you haven't gotten any response.

Your assumption about the cross-references is probably correct. You can change FM's updating behaviour for this by suppressing the Automatic Update function.

From the menus: Edit > Update References... and then click on the Commands drop-down button. You should see:

FM_suppress_auto_update.pngFM_suppress_panel.png

Click on the Suppress Automatic Updating option and then in the next window, set all of the options for suppressing.

When in a Book file, you can also globally suppress automatic updating by selecting: Edit > Suppress Automatic Reference Updating...

This should prevent further error messages from FM (unless you actually save any of the FM files after creating the review PDF).

Note: the re-importing of comments works fairly well, but I've still had a number that come in with varying degrees of offset from their intended locations.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 17, 2012 Aug 17, 2012

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Arnis,

Your advise takes care of LinMarie's problem.  Thanks.

I wondered if it might help with the misplaced comments issue, but when I tested it, it misplaced 3 out of 4 comments. I have sent the same files to Harpreet for testing with FM 11.  Hopefully, he gets better results.

Akari

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Jan 15, 2014 Jan 15, 2014

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not sure if this is the right thread but don't want to start a new one as problems with importing comments seem to be well-established.

I get an internal error and Frame crashes whenever i try to import comments.

Running Frame 11, Acrobat Pro XI, Windows 7, files checked out using TFS source control.

What I've tried up to now:

- supressed all reference updates

- turned off autosave

- saved the file before creating the review pdf but never afterwards.

- added/removed the step Enable commenting in Adobe Reader

- tried on various docs. I almost managed to get one comment when i created a basic document with just one line of text (although only the text insertion point was visible, not the text I was hoping to display). Nothing works in documents more complex than that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Supposedly the commenting issue has been fixed in FM12; however, getting an internal crash merits a chat with Tech Comm Support I’d say. Have you contacted them with the details?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'll give it a go, thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Dec 31, 2020 Dec 31, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FM12 unstructured. I think I have an open ticket but have not heard anything in quite a while. I have the latest updates and, when I try to import comments from a tagged PDF, I get the following:

An error has occurred in the script on this page.

Line:   3398

Char: 7

Error: Object doesn't support property or methog 'addEventListener'

Code: 0

Url: file://C:/Program%20Files/Adobe/Adobe%20FrameMaker%202020/fmint/ReviewPanelUI/js/libs/jquery.js

Do you want to continue = yes

Line: 3118

Char: 85

Error: Expected identifier

Code:0

URL File:///...coral.js

I've had a number of people log onto my system only to tell me they need to escalate the issue and someone will get back to me.

Then, I get emails about the trouble ticket.

Then it get's closed with no resolution. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@LindaBruton - don't hold your breath - there won't be any fixes issued for FM12 - only FM2020 onwards....

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I meant to say that I am using FM20

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Please share details on amisingh@adobe.com alongside a sample so we can check the issue in FM v16.X

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines