• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Punctuation marks not working inside "note" paragraph tags when saving .book document as PDF(FM2019)

Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi!

As stated above, I am working with FM2019 and I have a .book file (originally .ditamap saved as FM composite document 2019 and then made into book by inserting a Standalone TOC > a new book). Now, when I have the book open in FM the punctuation inside "note" paragraph tag looks fine. It also looks fine when publishing into Responsive HTML5. Or when using the publishing tool to publish PDF (However, I'd rather not use that, since it brings more and bigger problems atm. that just when saving the book as PDF).

Anyhow, in the saved PDF periods appear as commas, commas appear as asterisk, and brackets are either facing the wrong direction or they appear as braces. Those are atleast some I've spotted.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? Thank you!

TOPICS
PDF output

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Dec 10, 2019 Dec 10, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I investigated the matter furter and it seems that this can be fixed by changing font angle in paragraph designer from obliqued to regular. Obviously this also removes italics format from the text and, therefore, it is not ideal solution since it makes the notes blend in with the rest of the text, which is the opposite their format should do.

Anyone have any clue why the "obliqued" setting might cause this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The only time I've seen anything like this is when the font set on your machine is incomplete. For example, you might have the main font, bold version, oblique version, etc. but are missing another. Then, the missing font is subbed out with one of the others. I don't think I've seen completely different characters subbed out though.

Another variation on this them might have to do with overlapping tags, i.e., paragraph and character tag mismatches. The character tag is overriding the base paragraph tag in a way that is difficult to resolve. I vaguely recall some issues we had many years ago where a font set had a bold version installed and someone had used the formatting toolbar to bold (always always a bad idea to use the formatting toolbar to format directly). The outcome was odd (don't remember exactly the issue). Still the character subbing is weird.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Dec 11, 2019 Dec 11, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I noticed that at least my font (Google Open Sans) is not displayed correctly when I use the FrameMaker PDF creation engine.

Italics is changed to Regular. Generally the PDF engine works fine for others.

Possibly your font is also somehow different. Which font do you use?

Can you make a test? Restart FrameMaker. Create a regular, unstructured file with just the FrameMaker default template and enter some of your problem characters and see, whether the PDF has still changed characters.

Do you notice this also when you create the PDF with Distiller?

Or print to a PostScript file and distill it to PDF.

What happens, when you enter the characters in Word and create the PDF?

If FrameMaker is the problem, create a new bug report in the Adobe Tracker: https://tracker.adobe.com/ 

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines