Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

question about table of contents

Enthusiast ,
Oct 29, 2023 Oct 29, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

In a FM book I have succeeded to create a Table of Contents, but I see that in the generated TOC the page number (1) is next to the text (see red line in the screenshot).

I would like that FM automatically put the page number like this :

"chapter number .................................................................  page number"

So, I would like FM add automatically the "dots" and put the "page number" at the right. How to do this ?

screenshot0006.jpg

TOPICS
Getting started

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 5 Correct answers

Community Expert , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Hi Pierre:

The generated files have a list of rules that we must follow, written up here:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-files/

When you learn/follow the rules it's great, but when you don't know/don't follow the rules it's a nightmare.

In your book, you did not follow rule number 4: Paragraph styles are assigned automatically to the generated text, and their names will end with the suffix for the generated file. The required

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Hi Pierre:

You will first need to create a character style called Bold to use Rick's code, or create a character style that will assign bold and call it whatever you like, and assign it to <$paratext> on the TOC/TDM reference page through the Character Catalog. When you update your book, Fm will pick up the bold and assign it to the titles. 

However, your TOC/TDM is set up to include hyperlinks so that if you publish to PDF for example, someone can click anywhere on an entry and hyperlink to

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert , Oct 31, 2023 Oct 31, 2023

Hi Pierre:

Remember that link I posted to earlier in this thread? 
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-files/

Check out number 8 in the list:

Editing your initial choices. If you made a mistake when you were setting up the generated file, you can right click the file in the book window > Set up XXX, where XXX is equal to the type of generated file you are working with. For example, if you forgot to add a heading level to the TOC, ri

Votes

Translate

Translate

re: Never type on a generated page! If you type on a generated page and then update your book, FrameMaker will remove your edits.

There is an exception on that. Any content above {preceding} the generated content is left unmolested.

For TOC, for example, this would typically be a Heading1.ngn saying Contents.
ngn?
It needs to be an H1 format name that is itself non-generated for list generation purposes, but might be used for page-mapping of TOC-specific Master Pages.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Hi Pierre:

This is correct.

To add SECTION A above some chapter names, and presumably, SECTION B above others—a perfectly reasonable request—Fm needs to pull the words out of the document. You will need to add the words SECTION A someplace before Chapter 1 (or at the top of Chapter 1) and assign it a unique paragraph style so that Fm can pull the words into the TOC/TDM. If you want to add the section heads to the table of contents, but not to the page, you still have to add them to the page,

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the TDM file, that's controlled by the Tab Stops properties of the generated TOC (TDM?) paragraphs, as seen on Reference Page TOC (TDM?) of the TDM file.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

I have two blog posts you might find useful. 

This one explains how to replace the default space between the text entry and the page number with a tab character:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-adding-tabs-to-a-table-of-contents/

And this one explains how to set the tab stop and the leader dots:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-setting-tabs-part-iii/

Both are old, but nothing has changed. If you get stuck, of course, just come back and ask us.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi, @pierret18811376 ,

as @Bob_Niland already mentioned you need to define tab stops in paragraph format.

And secondly you must tell FM to use the teb stop(s) of the paragraph.

That is controlled by entries on the reference page "TOC" (TDM?).

Regards

Stephan

FM_TOC-Tab.PNG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I have seen the two links you gave me, and tried to make a tab stop (in a new portrait document), but I did not succeeded to do it :

screenshot0007.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

You can do this either by working in the ruler, or by typing in a numeric value. They both do the same thing, but if you are using the ruler, don't forget to Update Style.

Let's see if this video helps. If not, let me know.

2023-10-29_14-31-50.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I have just succeeded to do that in a new portrait document :

8.jpg

But in the FM TOC file / Reference, I don't succeed to do the same with tab between "paratex" and "pagenum"  :

9.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

Can you share the exact same screen shot with View >  Text Symbols enabled? I can't tell if you have a spaces or a tab between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Here is the screenshot with text symbols :

screenshot0010.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This screenshot illustrates the issue—you need to remove the space and add a tab character as per my video, below. Then set the tab stop.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

In case you are still awake, one more video...

• Remove the space between <$paratext> and <$pagenum>
  • Add a tab character by pressing the Tab key on the keyboard
  • Set the tab stop (location and leader dots), then 
  • Update the style, and then update the book

2023-10-29_17-32-24.gif

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have noticed that my problem was coming from the lack of tab character between paratex and paranum, so I put this tab character, and I succeeded to do that :

11.jpg

But now, if I go from TOC/Reference to TOC/current, I don't succeed to have the dots like in "Reference" :

12.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

After your first screen shot, which shows the tab stop and leader dots...

• Update the style, and then update the book

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I have just updated the TOC style (for the dots) and also the book, but with no effect. I have always the TOC current page that does not displays the dots.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 30, 2023 Oct 30, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi Pierre:

Did you create a book a table of contents (one that lists the headings for an entire book) or a standalone table of contents (that lists the headings for a single chapter)?

Can you share an image of your book window?

At this point it might be easiest to just share the files with me, if that's a possibility.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I had created this TOC / TDM  from an entire FM book (see screenshot) :

screenshot0010.jpg

I will send you my FM files.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

The generated files have a list of rules that we must follow, written up here:
https://www.rockymountaintraining.com/adobe-framemaker-what-to-know-about-working-with-generated-fil...

When you learn/follow the rules it's great, but when you don't know/don't follow the rules it's a nightmare.

In your book, you did not follow rule number 4: Paragraph styles are assigned automatically to the generated text, and their names will end with the suffix for the generated file. The required name for TOC styles in the French version is the original style name Titre1 plus the suffix TDM. That is the style you need to modify: Titre1TDM.

You created a new style called Tab stop TDM, and set it up correctly, but FrameMaker doesn't see that style. You will want to remove both that line from the TDM reference page and the Paragraph catalog. Then click on Titre1TDM on the TDM reference page and set the tab stop there. Update the style and update the book.

Looking ahead, if you decide to add the Titre2s to your TOC/TDM, you will need to locate the Titre2TDM on the TDM reference page and do the same thing. 

2023-10-30_08-14-43.gif

For others reading this thread down the road with a similar issue, Pierre is using the French version of FrameMaker, and the translation of Table of Contents (TOC) is Table des Matières (TDM). The same rules apply for all versions of FrameMaker but on an English version, substitute the letters TOC for each reference to TDM, above. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

First in the TOC/TDM reference page, I deleted the tag I had created myself (Tag Stop TDM).

Then in TOC/TDM reference page I deleted the last line (with paratext/pagenum).

Then in TOC/TDM reference page I used the tag generated by FM (Titre1TDM) on the first line (with paratext/pagenum) and put a tab stop with dots.

Then I updated the paragraph style and the book.

Here is the result in TOC/TDM reference page :

screenshot0017.jpg

And here is the result in curent page :

screenshot0018.jpg

You can notice that in the TOC/TDM reference page I have put a space before and after the dots.

It's great, I have succeeded to do it. Thank you Barb for all your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Success! So glad you are back on track. 😊

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

About the tag generated by FM (Titre1TDM), I have tried to change its paragraph style (in bold), and it works very well on all the line (paratext+dots+pagenum are bold). But I did not succeeded to make "paratext" only in bold. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

<Bold><$paratext><Default Para Font> <$pagenum>

Make sure you have a Bold character format in the Table of Contents.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Usually, it would be desired for the xyzTOC.fm file to have the same Character Catalog as the source abc.fm files, but as Rick hints, it can't be relied on by default.

Sometimes, omitting a particular Character Format is necessary (such as where a TOC link breaks at a Æ’ boundary, and you'd rather lose the style than the hypertext range.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Pierre:

You will first need to create a character style called Bold to use Rick's code, or create a character style that will assign bold and call it whatever you like, and assign it to <$paratext> on the TOC/TDM reference page through the Character Catalog. When you update your book, Fm will pick up the bold and assign it to the titles. 

However, your TOC/TDM is set up to include hyperlinks so that if you publish to PDF for example, someone can click anywhere on an entry and hyperlink to the page number with that entry.

If you add a character style, this is going to change that behavior: FrameMaker adds a hyperlink marker at the very beginning of every single entry on the first page. When you add the character style to the paragraph text, you are removing the ability to link from the page numbers. For someone to follow your hypertext link, they need to click on the bold text, and not on the leaders or on the page number. I'm showing this below with italics, since you don't yet have a Bold character style. The hyperlink markers are outlined in orange, though the reader won't see them. The reader will be able to click on anything that is italics and follow the hyperlink, but not the leader dots and not the page number.

2023-10-30_13-32-37.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Barb,

I have used the solution to create a character style. In this example, I have set it on "paratext" with bold+font size 14" :

screenshot0017.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Now, in chapter 1 there was only "Titre1". So I added a "Titre2" in chapter 1. Then I updated the book, but the I cannot see the "Titre2" content in my existing TOC/TDM. Why ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines