• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Red squiggly line below the word "to" throughout the book.

Participant ,
Oct 20, 2021 Oct 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In my FrameMaker book, I have a red squiggly underline below the word "to" throughout my book.  What is the cause and how can I fix it?

Thanks!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Try too or two (just kidding).

Click in one of the paragraphs and bring up the Paragraph Designer. What language is the paragraph set for in the Font tab?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

English (US) is the language in the Font tab.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 21, 2021 Oct 21, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Just to double-check, what about the Character Designer?

A text range can have a different dictionary than the paragraph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The attached popup displays when I attempt to add "to" to my dictionary.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The error in the popup box says to deselet the corresponding Find setting(s) in Options, and I delected all of them, just to test it, and same corresponding Find setting(s) in Options popup displays. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It sounds as if you may have added the word "to" with a correction to your dictionary, though I've not ever seen this before.

Perhaps you could look through your main and/or user .dct. files with a text editor (NotePad++, Notepad, for instance) to see if there are any entries that might explain the behavior.

If you find the solution, please come back and update us!

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Matt. I will do that if I could find the dictionaries. I looked yesterday in the root C: for both Program Files, Program Files x86, and FrameMaker folder, and didn't find anything, yet. Didn't have a lot of time to search, so will look again, today.

Ken

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry, but not sure what I am looking for in the Character Designer, other than the dictionary is English.  Should I be looking at STS?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No, just double-checking what Rick recommended above. There was an outside chance that the text range language settings were different than what was stored in the paragraph style.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Looked at the site dictionary 2.0 and saw nothing in there that stuck out at me.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hmm, looks like the file extension may have changed to a DIC extension when Adobe adopted Hunspell dictionaries. I doubt you could have changed the "main" dictionary, but it looks like that file is now at

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Linguistics\7.0\Providers\Plugins2\AdobeHunspellPlugin\Dictionaries\en_US

directory.

More likely you inadvertently added something to the personal or user dictionary.

See the dictionary functions for options to write these dictionaries to a file and then browse the contents.

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 10.31.21 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Interesting that I looked at the .dic En_US dictionary which is unchangeable. I noticed that the word "to" wasn't in the list.  I assume that is Adobe's dictionary.  I will write my dictionary to file and see what's up there.

Thanks!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ok, wrote to file and sure enough, there are two items in there.  They were: 

1.  time-card
2.  -to

I assume I would remove the dash before "to" to fix it, but how and where would I put the updated personal dictionary file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hooray!

I think the entry means the word "to" is set as a correct word, and not to be hyphenated.

A bit unneccessary, that!

Try removing the -to line and resaving the file in the proper location.

You can look up the Personal Dictionary location in the Dictionary panel (see my screenshot above)

However, since it sounds like you don't have much in the files, you might just want to set the Personal and Document dictionaries to None via the Dictionary Functions

Screen Shot 2021-10-21 at 11.43.23 AM.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Deleted both from my Personal Dictionary, merged the file, and still nothing.  Also Set Personal Dictionary to Set to None.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you set the Document Dictionary to None as well?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does not have the NONE option.  Only CLEAR, and yes I did.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Working on a backup copy of your content (always a good idea when testing) you might try the bottom three options in the Dictionary Functions dialog.

MattSTechCommTools_0-1634848729022.png

Of course, if you don't need to rely upon the auto spell check, you can disable that option in Preferences 😉

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah, did that for the time being.  I have a call in from Adobe tomorrow for another issue I am having with PDF linking.  When I generate two PDFs from FrameMaker (with linking relationship from source to destination file), and maintain the same relative path for the Frame and PDF files, the links don't work correctly.

I open both book PDFs and click on the Source document link, and it does take me to the Destination location. At that point, the Source document closes automatically, and a second copy of the Destination document opens in Acrobat.  I got it to work a couple of times but then it reverts back to doing the same thing, again.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Don't typically rely on spellcheck, except for adding new terms allowed in my books. English was my minor.  I would like to get the linking issue resolved, at least.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines