• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

run-in headings

Advisor ,
Aug 08, 2018 Aug 08, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

A colleague wants to include a URL after a level 2 heading, on the same line – to save space on the page – but not in the ToC.

"Easy!" I thought, and started setting up a run-in heading … but it didn't do what I'd hoped for, because I'm already using the 'across all columns and sideheads' option: as soon as I select 'run-in', the heading skips neatly inside the main column. Any tips for how to achieve the desired layout will be welcome.

layout without run-in

asIs.png

required layout

asRequired.png

Content untouched by human hand, at least since colleague copy/pasted it from various websites. Leading not yet adjusted.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Duplicate and rename the para tag used after the first A.5.

Set the dupe to use all columns and side heads.

Then proceed as you'd originally planned.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Aug 09, 2018 Aug 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Duplicate and rename the para tag used after the first A.5.

Set the dupe to use all columns and side heads.

Then proceed as you'd originally planned.

-Matt

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Aug 13, 2018 Aug 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello FP,

I'm working on a dictionary where I have to separate the terms from the explanation.

Initially I wanted to use a side head, but that didn't work because of the different lengths of the terms.

Finally, I created a one-line table with 2 columns for each term and turned off the borders.

(See the screen shots, one is with borders and text symbols switched on; the other without them).

This way, I can just grab the divider and drag it to the right or left in order to make it flush with the length of the previous term.

One big advantage here, is that I don't have to mess around with changing Tab settings for each term.

The background color of the first column also serves to indicate how long the text block extends downward, which makes it easier to

see where one term ends and the next one begins.

Maybe you can use this in adapted form for your situation as well.

Regards,

Carel.

SC1 of 2.pngSC2 of 2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Carl – there are some interesting ideas there … and your content looks like a lot more fun than mine ;-}

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

succinct and helpful :-} thanks

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines