• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Runtime Error - This application has requested the Runtime to terminate...

Community Beginner ,
Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using FrameMaker 2017 (14.0.0.361) on a Windows 10 platform (Windows files are current as of November 1, 2018).

Window name: Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime Library

Text:

Runtime Error!

Program: Program Files (x86)\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2017\FrameMaker.exe

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an unusual way.

Please contact the application's support team for more information.

I have read four different Adobe forum posts, but they are talking about Adobe Acrobat or Reader, and none of them talk about Windows 10.

I took my laptop to the company's help desk, and they uninstalled/reinstalled FrameMaker 2017, updated the laptop's BIOS, and updated the laptop's drivers from the manufacturer (Dell).  That did not fix it.

Next, we "Repaired" the most recent 6 versions of Microsoft Visual C++ (versions 2012 and more recent). That did not fix it.

I can open, edit, and save an individual chapter file. Whenever I try to open any book file, I get the Runtime Error.

None of the properties of the FrameMaker executable are set to "Deny." (An Adobe forum post said to check this.)

Does anyone have any other ideas? I am dead in the water until I can get this fixed. I want to avoid having my laptop reimaged to fix this.

Thank you in advance!

TOPICS
Error

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Nov 01, 2018 Nov 01, 2018

Give Adobe Support a buzz - tcssup@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Give Adobe Support a buzz - tcssup@adobe.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks Jeff.

I used Adobe's Live Chat, and the technician fixed the issue. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What was the issue? (for future searchers that may hit this thread)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Adobe technician who fixed the issue thought that somehow the preferences files (default and custom) were corrupted.

He directed me to a couple of folders, had me append the folder names with "_old," and then open FrameMaker again to recreate those two folders from scratch.

I have no idea how those files were corrupted.

Thanks Jeff!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Participant ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which folders?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am really worried about providing the folder names, because it seems like something like this should be advised by an Adobe technician in real time.

So, I was directed to rename these two folders:

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\LocalLow\Adobe > Rename Linguistics to Linguistics_old

C:\Users\(user name)\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker > Rename folder 14 to 14_old

Best bet: Start a live chat with an Adobe representative and "talk" with someone who knows way more than I do.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You're fine - those are common folders that we suggest renaming all the time. They get recreated with fresh ones when FM starts up.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines