• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

The Table Designer will not change the background cell color in the header row.

Explorer ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM 2017: the Table Designer will not change the background cell color in the header row. I can change it with the Custom Ruling and Shading but I want to change the Header background color for all of the tables in the document.

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

It is a header row--that's good.

It does have manual (custom) formatting.

I removed the custom formatting and updated the style to work properly.

Step one: select header row and set color/shading to table; style settings are set to none, so color disappears

Step two: update the table style as desired:

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Apr 03, 2018 Apr 03, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Dan:

Here's my specific question: if you select the header row on that one table and apply From Table as described above, is that one table now using updated Table Designer definition?

If that works, removing the rest is simple, but we need to start with one.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 23, 2018 Mar 23, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And continuing on Stefan's suggestion, use your Table menu item to add a row to the Table Header.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 24, 2018 Mar 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Alternatively, Dan, if you do have an actual header row (or rows)—which means either the table originated in FrameMaker or you already added it via the responses above—then it is an override issue.

If you are sure you have already defined header rows and you still can't assign the background color: Select the header row(s) and set the background color to "From Table" in Custom Ruling and Shading.

Two table notes:

1. Word allows you to designate header rows, but FrameMaker doesn't recognize them, so you have move the text from the body to the header rows after importing, (Adobe FrameMaker: Need Repeating Heading Rows? - Rocky Mountain Training ) and
  2. Tables imported from Word and Excel often come in with formatting overrides, so you have to remove the overrides before you can see the attributes defined in Table Designer. (Adobe FrameMaker: Removing Table Overrides - Rocky Mountain Training )

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 27, 2018 Mar 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb--regarding importing Excel files...

I find that direct import of Excel files creates a number of minor issues including Excel RGB colors added to color palette.

I find I get better results exporting the Excel file out as a tab- or comma-delimited file. Frame will import the file cleanly and allow me to apply a table style during import. Also, I can assign certain rows to as Header rows reducing the amount of "double work".

David Creamer: Community Expert (ACI and ACE 1995-2023)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines