Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

times new roman does not display correct

Community Beginner ,
Jan 06, 2016 Jan 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

times new roman does not display correct at frame maker,
when turnign to Myriad pro for example, special characters that appear as ? are correct,

but how can i have them correct at Times new roman font?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Contributor , Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Find the version of Times New Roman that you have:

1. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts\Times New Roman
  2. Double click on the Times New Roman Regular font to open it
  3. Note the version number shown.

Now go to this URL:

Times New Roman - Version 6.80

In the Other versions section, click on your version number. The page is updated. The Unicode Ranges and Code Pages sections indicate which glyphs are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When FrameMaker displays a question mark for a character in one font that looks fine in some other font, it usually means, that this font is not able to display this character (because it does not provide a codepoint for this.

However, considering the two fonts in question (Times New Roman and Myriad Pro), this is not so likely.

Can you give some more information? What is the character in question?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

of cource, romanian word "Puneți" displays special character ț as an ? at times new roman font

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is strange. “ț” should display fine in Times New Roman. Did you double check that there is no special font override and that it's actually "Times New Roman" and not "Times"?

Old Type1 font "Times" does not have CE characters. Only Times New Roman has.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

yes i did,,,,i even tried saving as an erlier version of fm but nothig seems to be working,,,
i don't have same issue with other languages with special characters also using times new roman

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have just tested it here, and the ț looks just as it should with Times New Roman. As expected. Romanian is no Problem with FrameMaker.

Is the problem only with the ț or also with other special characters?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

with another one also

i think it has to do with my pc maybe?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

but it would be for all languages with special charactes,,,,whouldnt it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not necessarily. My hunch is, that your version of Times New Roman is somehow messed up.

Can you delete Times New Roman (C:\Windows\Fonts -> Select Times New Roman, delete) on your PC and re-install it from a second one? You might need to close all Programs to be able to delete Times New Roman.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

re: My hunch is, that your version of Times New Roman is somehow messed up.

My hunch is that it's a legacy TrueType TNR that only populates 8-bits of codepoint space.

Recent versions of Windows, alas, refuse to show basic file information about installed fonts, like size and timestamp.

Character Map might provide a clue, but it has a tendency to lie - apparently synthetically populating some codepoints above U+00FF for fonts which in fact have nothing up there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

I have a similar problem: my modifications in Times New Roman in Adobe are displaying as "1". If I copy and paste them in Word, it still shows the entire text, but not in adobe.

I tried to delete Times New Roman font from my computer but I got an error message saying that this font is protected. Any other suggestion on how I can reconnect adobe to this font?

Thank you for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Contributor ,
Jan 07, 2016 Jan 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Find the version of Times New Roman that you have:

1. Go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Fonts\Times New Roman
  2. Double click on the Times New Roman Regular font to open it
  3. Note the version number shown.

Now go to this URL:

Times New Roman - Version 6.80

In the Other versions section, click on your version number. The page is updated. The Unicode Ranges and Code Pages sections indicate which glyphs are available.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

thank you sooooooooooooo much

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 09, 2016 Jan 09, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Have you been able to solve the problem with his answer? If so, it would be great if you would mark his answer as "Correct Answer" 🙂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 29, 2020 Mar 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

When I click on this link it no longer shows a version list. 
I have the same issue as the person who started this thread.
But I am not in Frame Maker, I am in Adobe Pro DC. Maybe I should open a new thread...

Thank you,

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines