Exit

Trying to differentiate between two variables

Community Expert ,
Jan 10, 2022 Jan 10, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Everyone:

I had a question in an intro class today that I couldn't answer. 😬

What is the difference between Chapter Title Name and Filename (Short)? Both work on body pages and master pages. Both produce the filename with extension at the insertion point.

For example, if the file is saved as "formats.fm", both add formats.fm at the insertion point. What does Chapter Title Name do that Filename (Short) does not and bonus points if you remember when it showed up!

variables.png

TIA,
~Barb

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Barb, the only notion of $chaptertitlename can be found in this Help text, which exists already for FM-12 - and have myself not used it (yet):

AssociateATemplateWithAFolder.png

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 11, 2022 Jan 11, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, the only notion of $chaptertitlename can be found in this Help text, which exists already for FM-12 - and have myself not used it (yet):

AssociateATemplateWithAFolder.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I knew you were going to be the one to respond to this, even as I posted the question, @K.Daube! 😊 

And thank you. But I've read the help entry repeatedly and I'm still completely unclear how to use it. I understand the words—and keystroked it—but I don't see what the practical application is. Do you?

I made a folder, dragged in a few files. Used properties to add a file to the folder that was not in my book. When I open all files in book, or save as pdf the associated file is included as if it were directly in the book list. Ok. I'm unclear why I would do that. But even after, when I add the variable, it still behaves exactly like the Filename (short) variable. 

properties.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

«I understand the words—and keystroked it—but I don't see what the practical application is»

That is the reason, why I just copied the help text. I would need to make experiments with folders containing chapters to get a glimpse what this is all about. We have a number of questions concerning folders in the forum. And yes, many new features were not described with a use case...

There is an Adobe video: https://www.daube.ch/docu/files/BookFolderTemplateUse.mp4, but I'm still lost. 

Two years ago I tried to understand thr subject: see https://www.daube.ch/docu/files/compendium.pdf page 289.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK, @pulkitn, I'm going to try roping you in since you're the developer who most often pops into this forum. Just what does the <$chaptertitlename> system variable do, how, and why is it included? Someone apparently left that out of the documentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lin—we were typing at the same time. Thanks for taking the intiative to pull in @pulkitn

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm curious now, too.

I can confirm that Adobe added the <$chaptertitlename> system variable for FrameMaker 9, as that's when it makes its first appearance in the User Manual. Unfortunately, there's no explanation of what it's used for. It's just ... there.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hey Lin and Barb ,

Even I didn't realized while working on FrameMaker for years , Now I am curious too .
Let me see if I can get something more informative about it 

-Pulkit Nagpal

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2022 Jan 12, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

@pulkitn: 😂

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK! You are making me feel better, @K.Daube. I'll work through your links and will report back if I make a break-through. Perhaps you were the only one in the world who knew it existed, until my student asked about it? LOL 

As always, thank you!

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines