• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Updated font references for fonts no longer in use - v2017

Enthusiast ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have recently changed our corporate font. Fortunately, we use a 'template' fm file for our paragraph and character styles that we apply to our documents and books. 

I have updated all our paragraph and character styles. However, when I use Insert > List of > References to find font references, the old fonts are still referenced somewhere. When I click on the hyperlink to go to the corresponding page, the cursor is at the top of the page, but there are no text on the page with the associated font applied, e.g. the reference file shows Times New Roman @ 10.0 pt 1, but Times New Roman isn't used anywhere on the page. I have checked on the body, master and reference pages, but can't find where it is being used.

I've also used Find > Character Format, but that returns 'No results found'.

How can I locate these 'rogue' font uses?

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Another way to find weird fonts is to use the Fonts pod. In FM 2019, that's View > Pods > Fonts (or Esc v p f). That lists all fonts in use in your document. Double-clicking a font name opens the Replace Font pod, which lists everyplace the font is used and also lets you replace the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jun 30, 2020 Jun 30, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is one other place that fonts are sometimes hidden: in table formats. Try inserting some tables in your template, and check and see if this font is used in any of the table cell paraagraphs. If they are, apply a paragraph format that has the new fonts to the cells. Then, open the Table Designer, click in the table, and click the Update button. If it asks you to remove overrides, say Yes (or whatever the dialog box says).

There is a simpler way of getting rid of the rogue font. First, check the Console pod and make sure you are happy with the substitution that is being made for the missing font (or fonts). If so, choose Edit > Preferences, and uncheck Remember Missing Font Names. The next time you open the document, it will report the missing font, but this time it will make the substitution permanent. Save and close the document and the next time you open it, you shouldn't get any missing fonts message. Repeat this for any document that gives you the missing fonts message.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 01, 2020 Jul 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Frameexpert,

Unfortunately that will just get rid of the message and substitute the rogue fonts - fixing the symptoms instead of fixing the cause.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another way to find weird fonts is to use the Fonts pod. In FM 2019, that's View > Pods > Fonts (or Esc v p f). That lists all fonts in use in your document. Double-clicking a font name opens the Replace Font pod, which lists everyplace the font is used and also lets you replace the font.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

BRILLIANT!! Thanks Linsims. That's not only helped me find these 'rogue' font uses, but also let's met replace them! I've replaced them with a barcode font so I can now finally identify the cuprits!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why not just replace them with your standard font? Then it's fixed. [puzzled]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Enthusiast ,
Jul 02, 2020 Jul 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That's exactly what I want to do, but weren't able to find where they were used as they weren't used by any of our paragraph or character styles. By changing them to a barcode font, I could visually identify where they were used and apply the appropriate paragraph/character style so they will be updated the next time we update our paragraph/character style fonts.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines