Exit

Utility Split current document disappeared

Community Expert ,
Jul 15, 2022 Jul 15, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

FrameMaker 2020 (16.0.4.1062)

I just wanted to use the plugin "Split current document" in File | Utilities.

However, I cannot find it any more!

I have a new laptop and do not have any older version to compare.

I checked also these folders for anything with "split":

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Splitter\ (I do not know, if this is related; the folder exists, but still no menu item in FrameMaker)

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Plugins\

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\startup\FileSplitter.jsxbin (is this the splitter utility?)

Nothing with "split" in maker.ini.

Does anyone know, if this plugin was removed from version 16.0.4?

What should I do to get the Split current document utility back?

Yes. I restarted FrameMaker. No change.

Best regards

Winfried

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 2 Correct answers

Explorer , Oct 17, 2022 Oct 17, 2022

Hi Winfried,

This is (in 3 images) what I did

Have a good day

PMImage1.jpgImage2.jpgImage3.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate
Enthusiast , Dec 14, 2022 Dec 14, 2022

Today I was able to isolate the problem.

Without telling the whole story, here is the solution:

1. the problem is NOT caused by "Split current document".
2. the problem is caused by certain configurations of Windows or FrameMaker scripts. Which these are, I do not know.
    Maybe file permissions under Windows?
3. the problem is that binary scripts with the file extension "*.jsxbin" in the "\startup" directory are not executed. On the other hand, scripts with the extension "*.jsx" are executed.

Worka

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Datapoint only: Using FM 16.04.1062. Split Current Document still on my File menu.

Were you, by any chance, rewriting some menus or otherwise changing how the UI works?

ETA: 

In Startup:

c:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\startup\FileSplitter.jsxbin

In \fminit\Splitter:

C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Splitter\de.xml
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Splitter\en.xml
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Splitter\fr.xml
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Splitter\jp.xml
C:\Program Files\Adobe\Adobe FrameMaker 2020\fminit\Splitter\style.css

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's in all versions of Fm on my machine...

Have you customized your install in any way?

Maybe try a new install of Fm on another machine to confirm?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you very much for your ideas! No. I have not changed or customized the menus.

I will do a repair installation next week, when I will be in the office. If this would not help, I will re-install FrameMaker.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 17, 2022 Jul 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

I really not know what to do.

I re-installed FrameMaker 16.0.4, restarted Windows. Splitter not there.

De-installed FrameMaker (with all configuration), restarted Windows, re-installed FrameMaker 16.0.4, restarted Windows. Splitter not there.

Below is the Utilities menu.

fm_16.0.4_utilities.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 18, 2022 Jul 18, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're actually in an FM file when you do this, right? Cursor blinking on a page of text type in the file, not file selected from a book file or anything like that?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

Yes. The cursor was in a file, when  I tried to start the Splitter utility. All other menu items are there.

Meanwhile Klaus @goebel (I do not know, if this ist the correct link to him) helped me out. He ran the utility without any issues. Thank you very much!

However, he also did not find anything which could explain this behaviour.

Still I would like to have the Splitter utility back. I have some translations, and then I will need this again.

I installed FrameMaker on my new office laptop just some weeks ago. My feeling is that this utility is missing, when FrameMaker is installed the very first time without any previous versions. (Yes. That's something which I could test as well.)

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry. In the post above the link to Klaus was not correct.

Here is the correct link:

@Klaus Göbel 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

At this point, I suggest contacting the development team directly: tcssup@adobe.com

I think that's your best bet for an answer. At the very least, they can tell you if you're right about needing a previous version of FM installed before 2020 is (although I very much doubt it).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 22, 2022 Jul 22, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Lin,

Yes. I contacted tcssup@adobe.com, and they made a few checks, but all files are there.

I did another check and de-installed update 4 (with all configurations) and then installed 16.0.0. There the Splitter utility is there, as the last item in the menu.

However, when I then installed update 4, the Splitter utility is gone again!

Best regards

Winfried

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is VERY odd, because my FM is fully updated and it's there for me.

I'll confess to being baffled.

Have you tried reinstalling to 16, then applying each update in sequence? Yes, I know that 4 has all the changes since the initial release, but sometimes computers are plain weird about how things install/update.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I had thought about this as well. I will check this next week.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Also, is it possible the file permissions are set wonky? Does it stay disappeared if you run in administrator mode? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I will check this next week. But why does this work with 16.0.0 and not with 16.0.4?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 26, 2022 Jul 26, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Winfried,
In my installation the same: no splitter menu item. I checked for the corresponding jsx: FileSplitter.jsxbin and renamed it to Filesplitter.jsx: Now after a restart the menu item is there File > Utilities >   "Split Current Document" - but it does nothing.
Regards Dieter

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 29, 2022 Jul 29, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

@DieterGust I tested this as well. The same. When I rename FileSplitter.jsxbin to Filesplitter.jsx the menu item was there. When I renamed it back, the menu item disappeared.

@LinSims I started FrameMaker as administrator, but this did not help. No menu item for the Splitter utility.

Thank you both for your suggestions!

The FrameMaker support suggested that I should update my Windows version (which is controlled by my company) from 20H2 to the current one. What's yours?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Until this morning, I was also on Windows 10, 20H2. I've just updated to 21H2. The utility is still there.

Just to confirm, on your old computer you could have used the Split current document utility but it is not available on the new system? And you've already checked/updated your drivers.

How has your hardware changed? Do you have any new programs or updated programs installed to the new laptop that weren't on the old one?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

And now I was curious. As the Splitter utility was there in 16.0.0, but not in 16.0.4, I tested all updates. I had restarted Windows before/after each installation/deinstallation.

16.0.0 Splitter yes

16.0.1 Splitter yes

16.0.2 No Splitter

16.0.3 No Splitter

16.0.4 No Splitter

I also just updated to 16.0.4 after 16.0.0 or 16.0.1. No Splitter.

It's reproducable, at least on my laptop.

I do not know what changes betweeen the updates.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Super odd - I'd go back to the FM folks at Adobe again with your results.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That is very, very odd. I went from 1 to 2 to 3 to 4 without issues. I think most did.

Did you try going from 2 to 4 without installing 3? (Cue Brother Maynard ...)

This sounds rather like it'll be one of those tedious corner cases where we all throw things at the wall and hope something sticks. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I went from 16.0.2 to 16.0.4.

And I also got another Splitter.jsxbin file from the Adobe support.

Still no Splitter menu item.

I do not think that it's the Windows version or any other component or software on the new laptop. Otherwise I should not have the Splitter menu item in 16.0.0 and 16.0.1.

I had used the Splitter utility last year with FM 16 on my old laptop. Next week I will check which version of FM 16 it was.

Thank you very much for your ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish they were being more helpful! Filesplitter seems to be a compiled Javascript acting as a plugin that adds itself to the File menu. FileSplitter certainly isn't listed in any of the menu.cfg files on my machine.

Is there something on your machine that might be preventing a compiled Javascript from running when called? IT can sometimes bollux things up for users when they mess with the security settings, and it is a new computer. Have you tried running it as a script?

[edited for clarity and to add that last question.]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes. I do run JavaScripts from the Startup folder.

When I remove the S1000D scripts from the "Don't Load Startup Scripts" in the Preferences, then these menu items appear in the help menu.

Therefore jsxbin files do run.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Aug 01, 2022 Aug 01, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well, nuts. I'm afraid I'm all out of bright ideas. I hope TCS support can help. 😞

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines