• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Variable Font Support for FrameMaker 2019

Community Beginner ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We just switched corporate fonts to Barlow, and I cannot seem to get Barlow Condensed (otf) to be both bold and italic. Right now, it's an either/or situation. Is there any support yet for variable fonts?  With InDesign, I can adjust the skew of the text to get it to work, but the character designer in FM doesnt' have that option. The font works just fine in Office applications.

I am on FrameMaker 2019, v 15.0.5.838, but users on other versions of Frame 19 and 17 are having the same issue. Is there a workaround?

TOPICS
Feature request , Formatting and numbering , Technical Communication Suite

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

FrameMaker does not support variable fonts. 

Where are you getting your Barlow Condensed? Google fonts has a version that should work. https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Barlow+Condensed

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 4.25.52 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Mar 16, 2020 Mar 16, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Does Barlow Condensed even include a "Bold" instance? It might only offer Black and ExtraBold, and both of those appear to be available in Italic forms.

Separately, with some fonts (historically Type 1), when the default printer is Postscript or Ps-like (PDF), FM can sometimes offer a "Bolded" or "Oblique" transformation might suffice. I don't know is any variants of Barlow could be so used.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It does, and I can get either bold or oblique, just not both at once. I can set it to oblique, for example, and the second I select "bold" in the paragraph designer, the angle flips back to regular, and vice versa. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 17, 2020 Mar 17, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I suspect what you need is to be setting is a font name of Barlow Condensed BlackItalic or Barlow Condensed BoldItalic, and not trying to use the FM font attributes on a base font name. Names may vary by foundry.

Sounds like corporate marcom bungled the typeface innovation. They tend to excel at that. At least Barlow is legible, and you can actually distinguish "1" from "l".

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 18, 2020 Mar 18, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FrameMaker does not support variable fonts. 

Where are you getting your Barlow Condensed? Google fonts has a version that should work. https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Barlow+Condensed

Screen Shot 2020-03-18 at 4.25.52 PM.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb, this did the trick! Thank you! We were trying to use the Open Type fonts provided by the graphic design people. True Type solved the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Mar 19, 2020 Mar 19, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

You are welcome, Sharon.

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines