Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

write permission

Community Beginner ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

FM Folks:

Downloaded a trial of FM 10, loaded old 7.2 files. FM 10 read them perfectly, but, when I tried to save the file, an error message popped up that said I didn't have 'write permission" to lock or write to these files.

How do I get permission?

Is this a Windows, not an Adobe issue?

Does the trial version only allow creating of new files, but not editing of others?

Am running Windows 7 and using a downloaded trial version of FM 10.

Two days down on my thirty, and I can't save the files in the new format.

Darn, darn, darn.

~Don Spencer

beamwardpublications@earthlink.net

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

I've used trials of Fm since v. 5, and (other than the 30 day trial period) they've never been limited.

I'm betting the 7.2 files are locked in Windows. Did they come off of a CD/DVD?
IIRC, Win 98 or so used to lock them automatically when writing to CD.

If not, make sure you have write access to your directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
May 17, 2017 May 17, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I've used trials of Fm since v. 5, and (other than the 30 day trial period) they've never been limited.

I'm betting the 7.2 files are locked in Windows. Did they come off of a CD/DVD?
IIRC, Win 98 or so used to lock them automatically when writing to CD.

If not, make sure you have write access to your directory.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,
May 18, 2017 May 18, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Not marking this correct yet, not until I solve the problem. Must now figure out how to get "write access to my directory." Actually, these files are on a separate hard drive. This drive does have an XP boot sector, but for my FrameMaker purposes, I am simply reading off the 7.2 files off said drive.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Browse to the folder on the separate hard drive where the files are, right-click and look at the Properties, check the Security tab to see what rights are attached to the folder, adjust as required.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Will check out the Properties in my D: drive, Jeff, and thanks for the response. However, the permissions issue led me to consider simply copying the files from my old drive to the new C: drive. Worked like a charm. Did a little editing, saved it and backed it up on the D: drive. Huzzah!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Matt, thanks for the tip. I haven't yet gone in to change the permissions on my D: drive, but as I just told  Jeff, I took the hint and simply copied my files from the D: drive to the C: drive. Opened them there, then tried a little writing and editing. Lo and behold, the file saved in a zip. Will be using the D: drive as a backup drive from now on, though I still might try and change the permissions as per Jeff Coatsworth's hint.

Thanks to both you guys!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines