• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FM 11 Table cell height

Explorer ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Is there an easy way to control the height of a table cell? Is there a combination of keys that will let me move the bottom margin up or down, or make it expand only as far as the last text line?

Thanx,

Bill

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

By default, the row height expands with the content.

Use Table > Format > Row Height to set a minimum and maximum row height for selected rows:

VMware Fusionss_014.png

Keep in mind that you have control over cell margins for the table in Table Designer > Basic properties, and by paragraph tag via Paragraph Designer > Table Cell properties. These margins may be helpful in getting the look are are after as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jul 11, 2016 Jul 11, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By default, the row height expands with the content.

Use Table > Format > Row Height to set a minimum and maximum row height for selected rows:

VMware Fusionss_014.png

Keep in mind that you have control over cell margins for the table in Table Designer > Basic properties, and by paragraph tag via Paragraph Designer > Table Cell properties. These margins may be helpful in getting the look are are after as well.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 27, 2017 Oct 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. I know that's how it's supposed to work but my problem is that I'm trying to import a load (100+) of technical specifications that were produced using In-Design [MAC] into FM2017 [PC]. The best way I've found to do this to reserve most of the original table formatting is by using Word as a transition step. This import method works pretty well except that the row height no longer expands with content; and having looked at the Row Format dialog it appears that the imported data has somehow reset the default maximum row height to 0.52 cm!!

So adjusting the paragraph before/after space and table padding has no effect at all.

I generated a new 'clean' table template based on the one that I imported the data into and then applied the new template to the table but that didn't fix the problem.

My current 'work-around' is to select all the cells in the table and change the maximum height (to something like 6cm), which seems to work. But I have literally hundreds of these tables to import and format over the next few weeks and I could do without this additional work overhead.

Is there a way of switching the row auto-sizing off/on anywhere that you know of? Or a process to import from In-Design that avoids the problem?

Many thanks.... mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sounds like a process that could be scripted - there are some scripting gurus that you could reach out to on the forums - do a search on scripting & you should get some hits.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Jul 12, 2016 Jul 12, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

That worked, thanx so much!

Cheers,

Bill

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This answer helped solve a problem I had. Thanks

Now, is there any way that you can assign the limits as the defaults for a particular table template?

thanks.... mike

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Oct 26, 2017 Oct 26, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Mike:

No, not yet within the InDesign feature set. I believe there is a plug-in you can purchase. Happy to track it down if you are interested.

Sorry! I thought I was answering a question on the InDesign forum, but the answer is the same for FrameMaker. Row height is not part of the Table Designer through version 2017, so the row height limits can't be saved as part of a table style. 

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When importing many tables, I find Rick Quatro's TableCleaner plugin to be invaluable!!!

Introducing TableCleanerES – FrameAutomation.com

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

That looks like a useful utility. I'll certainly give it a try next week.

Thanks for lead.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines