• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Font issues in FM2019 15.0.4.751 unstructured

Community Expert ,
Jan 04, 2020 Jan 04, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Recent install on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit.

I'm getting "?" renderings for some Unicode code points, in this case the font is Libertinus Serif (OpenType). The points are clearly populated in the font (confirmed by system Character Map). Examples:
\u25a1 (□) works.
\u2611 (☑) goes to ? in FM
I'm doing these as variables, and when entered as \u notation in the dialog, FM dutifully converts them to the actual Unicode glyph, so the codepoint is being preserved, and FM's internal dialog font knows what it is supposed to be.

The two test code points above work correctly in FM if the font is Segoe UI Symbol. They appear to work correctly in either font in LibreOffice Writer. MS WordPad, interestingly, for Libertinus Serif, overrides them both to Segoe UI Symbol, at the same code points. So, it could be a font issue.

Separately, I am was unable to use FM's Insert > Character > Hex Input or > Character Palette tool to explore this problem, because both dialogs winked out after 5 seconds, which I had thought was a solved bug in some prior releases. Forcing FM to create a new
C:\Users\{UID}\AppData\Roaming\Adobe\FrameMaker\
dir (which I think was the old work-around), didn't fix it. Rebooting, however, did.

TOPICS
Error , Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

re: Does FM yet support any Unicode above Plane 0? (the BMP)

Apparently not, but then, neither does the Windows 10 Character Map applet. It looks like much of the world is still lagging on support for Unicode Supplementary Planes, such as the SMP (10000–​1FFFF).

Segoe UI Symbol, for example, has a large number of codepoints above 0x10000 populated, such as:
1F131 SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B
🄱 (if your browser & fonts support it)
This works in Notepad and LibreOffice Writer, but goes to ? if

Votes

Translate

Translate
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I dunno about the font issue, but I can tell you that the bug with the character and hex palettes is not (yet) fixed. I think I recall an Adobe support person saying that a fix is expected in the next release, but that is some months away. Meantime, I just use the Windows character map. It's actually easier, because it's easier to read.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 06, 2020 Jan 06, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

linsims: …the bug with the character and hex palettes is not (yet) fixed.
Thanks, and that raises another question, which itself might explain the delay.
Does FM yet support any Unicode above Plane 0?
The Hex Input appears to support only 4 digits. \u notation appears to support exactly 4 hex digits.
Attempts to create Variables with Plane1 characters, such as U+1F5C0 FOLDER, via \u1f5c0, seem to get interpreted as
\u1f5c and a "0"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jan 12, 2020 Jan 12, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

re: Does FM yet support any Unicode above Plane 0? (the BMP)

Apparently not, but then, neither does the Windows 10 Character Map applet. It looks like much of the world is still lagging on support for Unicode Supplementary Planes, such as the SMP (10000–​1FFFF).

Segoe UI Symbol, for example, has a large number of codepoints above 0x10000 populated, such as:
1F131 SQUARED LATIN CAPITAL LETTER B
🄱 (if your browser & fonts support it)
This works in Notepad and LibreOffice Writer, but goes to ? if pasted into a string of Segoe UI Symbol text in FM.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines