• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Framemaker 12 crashes when trying to open file.

New Here ,
Apr 17, 2018 Apr 17, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Using Framemaker 12 trying to open file and it crashes giving me a log.  I need to know if this file can be saved.

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yes, the crash log is saved in a hidden folder specified in the error message - it's only comprehensible by Adobe engineers though (that's why they ask you to send it into them). Is your FM version completely up to date? What are you doing that creates the error? Does it happen consistently?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am just trying to open it so I can make some updates.  It won't let me open.  I have been able to open all other files.

I am trying to get in contact with someone from Adobe to help me.  I went to website and Framemaker is not even listed so I somehow was directed to this forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You're just starting up the FM12 program and it throws an error? Was it working before? If so, what's changed? If not, have you tried loading updates by manually going to the Downloads page - Adobe - FrameMaker : For Windows

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No I am trying to open an existing frame file and it crashes.  I am currently running on the most updated version for Framemaker 12.

Other Frame files are opening just fine.  I just need to know if there is a way to save this file.  I don't want to have to recreate it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If it crashes upon opening, it might be pooched - see if you have a .backup copy or .auto or .recover version that you might use to salvage content out of into a new stable file. There's also a trick called a "heroic open" that sometimes will work - search the forum for instructions.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,
Apr 18, 2018 Apr 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I had no luck finding this heroic open in the forums.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Found it - [thanks Fred Ridder] -

"Heroic open" is an escape-key command that causes FrameMaker to ignore any of the conditions that normally cause warnings or messages during the open process, and therefore allows you to open files that have certain minor forms of corruption. You must have a blank .fm document open first. Then the command is Esc, o, H (meaning Escape, lower-case O, and capital H pressed *in sequence* rather than in combination).

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Yeah that didn't work. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Any backup or recover versions you can try and salvage content out of?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

No recovery file and we had to stop using the backup files as our server space was getting too limited.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK there's no way to turn off the automatic creation of .backup files in FM - I'd be interested to know how you did that.

I suspect you're going to have to start from scratch. You must have at least one undamaged backup version to start from?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Edit>Preferences

Uncheck Automatic Backup on Save.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Sorry, I was confused - it's the ability to direct the .backup files to another location that can't be done (AFAIK).

But - disk space is cheap, why would you turn that off anyway?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines