• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

FrameMaker Dita tables

New Here ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

With a low knowledge to FrameMaker Dita tables, I have problems saving tables in the format and size I create them. Creating a table - saving and re-open the doc - the table is back to default. How do I save a table?

TOPICS
Structured

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Adobe Employee , Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Hi Jastma,

Thanks for reverting back.

Here are observations from my side:

1. Regarding the resizing related issue for simpletable, it is not possible to configure the column width in terms of custom units since DITA Standard doesn't provide any corresponding element / attribute to do so.
  2. Regarding the resizing related issue for table, as rightly said by you, it can be configured using colspec element. Though this element is not displayed in Structure View, the column width can still be configured usi

Votes

Translate

Translate
Adobe Employee ,
Feb 28, 2020 Feb 28, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Jastma,
By default, Table column widths are stored in proportion to the page width. That's why I think the size related information is not getting retained on reopening the file.

It is because of a following rule mentioned in RW Rule present at location <FMInstallationPath>\Structure\xml\DITA_1.3\app\technicalContent\rules\topic.rules.txt:
writer use proportional widths;

Commenting this rule will cause FM to store column widths in inches for DITA 1.3 <topic>. Similarly, you may be required to comment the above mentioned rule in other RW Rule files as per your need.

Regarding the Table format not getting stored issue, I need some more information:

1. How exactly are you setting Table format?
  2. Are you using one of FM predefined Table formats or defining a new one?

Hope ths helps a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,
Feb 29, 2020 Feb 29, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Dear Kunal Puri

Thank you for your explanation. It gave me a better idea of how I can change some table settings in FM DITA, but I still can't keep a manual created size of columns in a table. After saving and re-opening the doc, the standard setting is back.

I create the table by inserting a "table-element" as the "simpletable-element" doesn't work either, and does not give the same posibilities.

After inserting the table, I specify the columns like eg:

<colspec colnum="1" colname="1" colwidth="30*"/>
<colspec colnum="2" colname="2" colwidth="70*"/>

It seems respected by FM, but does not break through in Structure View, nor is it saved by reopening the doc

I wonder if it really is so difficult to create a table in FM DITA? Should be piece of cake, but I really suffer creating it.

I hope you will be able to bring me a little forward, and please know that your help is highly appreciated. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Adobe Employee ,
Mar 01, 2020 Mar 01, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Jastma,

Thanks for reverting back.

Here are observations from my side:

1. Regarding the resizing related issue for simpletable, it is not possible to configure the column width in terms of custom units since DITA Standard doesn't provide any corresponding element / attribute to do so.
  2. Regarding the resizing related issue for table, as rightly said by you, it can be configured using colspec element. Though this element is not displayed in Structure View, the column width can still be configured using the dialog which opens on doing the following: Select the column to be resized > Right Click > Context Menu Appears > Select Resize Columns...
  3. Regarding the width not getting stored on saving and reopening issue, when the table width is less than the page width, FM seems to scale it to page width. This seems to happen because of setting ForceTGroupAlignmentToLeft in ditafm.ini at location <FMInstallationPath>\fminit\ditafm. You have to turn it to 0 in order to override the behaviour.

We will surely look to improve this experience further in FM2020.

Hope this helps a bit.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines