Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Inserting Special Characters

Explorer ,
Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Greetings, everyone:

I am trying to insert a registered trademark symbol in my Framemaker 2019 document, and it's not working.

According to the help, the combination is Ctrl+q Shift+9, but this isn't working. All I get is an e character from the Ctrl+q.

I'm using Arial font.

Please help! Thank you!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Mar 02, 2021 Mar 02, 2021

I am trying to insert a registered trademark symbol in my Framemaker 2019 document, and it's not working.

By @Cynthia Pao

One little question, so many answers!

The shortcut works for me in 2019—remember that is is a sequential shortcut, so break it down into two parts: first tap Control+q (release the keys), then Shift+9 (release the keys). Then the ® symbol will appear.

In addition to the Insert menu and Bob's answers, there is also a button on the Quick Access Toolbar that no one ever no

Votes

Translate

Translate
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Oh, dear. Never mind.

I see there is an Insert menu with the option available. I did not think of that before.

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Cynthia Pao: … insert a registered trademark symbol …

You can also do it as [Alt key] plus [0174], for ®

My personal practice, however, is to use Variables for any characters not on the keyboard, per the convention:
Name: U+1234 FORMAL UNICODE NAME
Definition: \u1234
which for Â® would be:

Name: U+00AE REGISTERED SIGN
Definition: \u00ae

These U+ variables all self-sort at the bottom of your Var catalog, so don't get in the way.
This scheme also allows assigning Character Formats where the instant font doesn't populate the code point, or for Unicode SMP characters (U+10000 and up) which FM doesn't support yet, so still have to be implemented in the legacy overlay/codepage manner.

FM has a not-super-useful habit of collapsing the \u notation to the actual Unicode glyph.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

By @Cynthia Pao

One little question, so many answers!

The shortcut works for me in 2019—remember that is is a sequential shortcut, so break it down into two parts: first tap Control+q (release the keys), then Shift+9 (release the keys). Then the ® symbol will appear.

In addition to the Insert menu and Bob's answers, there is also a button on the Quick Access Toolbar that no one ever notices!

buttons.png

~Barb

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Barb Binder: One little question, so many answers!

If there was only one way to do it, it wouldn't be FrameMaker.:game_die:

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Explorer ,
Mar 10, 2021 Mar 10, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

All of the answers are correct, actually. Frame is good that way.

I marked Barb's correct because it is the simple way 🙂

Cindy

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines