• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Is there a way to apply italic angle to a font that doesn't have that option naturally?

Explorer ,
Jul 06, 2016 Jul 06, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I am using a font called Horsham in Framemaker 12 on Windows 10. It came with 8 different weights but no italic. I had thought that I would be able to apply the Italic Angle in the paragraph or character designer as needed, but it's not available (only "Regular" is in the dropdown). I can apply italic to this font in other programs, like MS Word, and there are other fonts on my computer that don't indicate having italic variations in the Fonts folder, on which I CAN apply Italics.

Is there any thing that I can do to make that font Italic in Framemaker 12 when I need to?

TOPICS
Formatting and numbering

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

In the Angle drop-down, you should also see an "Obliqued" option. This creates a fake italic for the font - not typographically recommended, but it can do in a pinch if not over-used.

Italics_obliqued.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

There is no "Obliqued" option either; the only choice is "Regular"  (and As Is). But I see now that I'm using here "Horsham Serial Xlight." Of the 8 varieties that came with the font "Horsham Serial" font family download, only the "Horsham Serial" allows the Obliqued option. All the others (Horsham Serial Heavy, Light, Medium, Xbold, and Xlight) only allow "Regular." Wondering if I should have sprung for the more expensive font that was almost exactly the same but came with specific italic versions.

Capture.JPG

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,
Jul 07, 2016 Jul 07, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

I used to think that the synthetic morphs  like Obliqued and Bolded were limited to Type1 fonts, and not TrueType (and no clue about OpenType), and then only if the current Printer Setup was a PostScript or PostScript-like (Distiller, PDF) driver. There's a good chance I'm mistaken, but it suggests a possibility for experimentation.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines