• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Looking for referenced file information on imported graphics

New Here ,
Oct 21, 2016 Oct 21, 2016

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm working on a document that has several imported graphics. One in particular, is a PDF that was pulled in from another location in our document repository. I need to know exactly where this file came from, when I select the file and open the Object Properties pod, the "Referenced File" location is blank. I've also generated a list of imported graphics but (1) thie PDF file does not appear on the list, thought I know for a fact that it was imported, and (2) the files that do appear in this list do not show the entire path, just the first couple of folders with a "..." before them, indicating there is more to the location that I can't see.

I need a full list of complete paths for ALL of my referenced files, including this one. Can someone please tell me how to find this?

Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

If a file is imported by COPY, then no reference to its source location is preserved by FM. Files must be imported by REFERENCE to have the link to the external source.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

All of these files were imported via File>Import>File>[path]. They were not copied. I've confirmed that with the person who created the document. Is there a way to see this path?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

It's possible it was imported as an object, rather than as a file. If you double-click the object, it should open in Acrobat, and you can select File>Save, which will give you the path where it is stored.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Another option would be to use File>Package (if you have Frame2015 or an earlier version (12? 13?) that has the feature).

1. Select File > Package.
  2. De-select "Create package even if files are missing".
  3. Select Generate log file.
  4. Click Package.

If the graphic is not in the book's folder or subfolders, you'll get a dialog indicating the file is missing and it's path will be displayed.

All included (and missing) files (with their pathnames) are also listed in the log file that gets generated.

[I forgot to add that last line in my original response :-)]

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Advisor ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Blythe,

Let me paraphrase some of the earlier messages in this thread.

1.   FM has two methods of storing graphic information in a document: it can either store a link to the original location (Import By Reference) or it copy the graphic information into the FM document (Copy Into Document). The latter method does not store the name of the original file (it allows you to send a FM document to someone else without having to send various graphic files as well). If your graphics were copied, the information you want is not in the FM document.

2. The File > Import > File command creates both types of graphics. This command brings up a file browser. There are Import By Reference and Copy Into Document radio buttons at the bottom of this dialog box. It is unfortunately easy to overlook these radio buttons. The one that is selected determines which form of graphic is stored in the document.

3. You say that the area labeled Referenced File in the Object Properties pod is blank. If the line under "Reference File:" reads "No File", the graphic was copied into the document and the original filename was not stored. If that is the case, you'll have to find the original file outside of FM.

--Lynne

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Engaged ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

Hi Lynne. The reason I had mentioned the options I did is... if you:

1. Select File>Import>Object
  2. Select Create from File
  3. Browse to the required file and select it.
  4. Select Link
  5. Click OK.

The PDF will be linked in, but the Object properties pod will indicate "Referenced File: No File". You can, however, open the file (it's linked) by double-clicking it, and if you do the 'Package' function, it *will* include the file (if it's in the folder/subfolders) or indicate that it is missing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines