Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

Update book does not work, no file appear in "Generate" frame

New Here ,
Feb 13, 2017 Feb 13, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This is probably a silly question.

I have moved my Framemaker 2015 license from a previous machine running Windows 8 to a new one running Windows 10.

I am trying to update a book for the first time since this move occurred.

When I choose Update Book, I get the "Update Book" window with "Generate Table of Contents, Lists and Indexes" checked.

However, no file appear in the "Generate" frame where I should see the Table of Contents and Index names.

See screen copy below. Sorry it is a french license 😉

I have no idea why these disappeared.

How can I tell Framemaker to generate the files ?

Thank you for your help.

Patrick

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I hope you remembered to deactivate your copy of FM on the old machine before installing it on the new one.

As far as the Generate issue - sounds like FM doesn't think there's any generated .fm docs in play. What happens if you tell it to create a TOC and IX first? Do they then show up in the Generate section?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you for your answer. Yes, I did manage the old machine license.

Yes, I discover that FM no longer thinks my TOC and Index are generated files : their icons are no longer the correct ones.

As these files have complex setup, I wish I could rebuild them easily.

Do you think there is a way to recover ? Or will I have to re-create them, and re-format the whole stuff ?

An additional question is : why do I get this situation after moving from my older machine ?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My issue seems very tricky.

I just tried the following :

- deleted the TOC and IX files from the book

- recreated a TOC file with new name

- re-added the file to the book

- closed everything

- re-opened the book

- the TOC file still do not appear as generated.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

What happens (that is, what appears in the book) when you tell it to create a new TOC and IX (ignore the formatting)? It's unclear from your screenshot what's happening.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jeff,

When I ask to create the TOC and IX files, nothing happens in the book.

Here is the FM window after I create the TOC and IX

2017-02-13_19-55-57.jpg

Both TOC (TDM in french) and IX files are created, but none appears in the book.

@Arnis

As far as names are concerned : I did not change the names after migrating the machine.

They used to work that way.

But even with new files with standard names, it does not work.

Thank you all for helping.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Did you use the "Add" [English menu] menu to create the TOC and IX? FM should show the TOC file immediately in the book pane before creating it along with the TOC setup window.

Add_toc.png

Add_toc2.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I don't recall ever seeing generated TOC and IX files appearing in their own tabs - try closing all .fm files and only have the book open, then try creating a TOC and IX - are they appearing inside the .book file?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi all. I found the solution. Although there remain some unclear topics.

In order to create the TOC and IX, I was selecting the main file and used "Special/TOC/Create Toc", and "Special/Standard Index".

I switched to selecting the book and used "Add/TOC/create Toc" and "Add//Standard Index".

This way, the files are generated correctly. Then I have been able to replace them with the old ones through rename.

I still wonder why I lost the correct association between the book and the files.

Also, I quite do not understand the difference between "Special/TOC..." and "Add/TOC..."

Thank you again for your help.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

The "Add" menu is only available when the book file is in focus (which is what you want).

The "Special" menu is only available when a single file is focus and the TOC/IX, etc. will be created for that file only.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Patrick,

Did you rename your book and associated FM files when you transferred to the new machine? FM uses the book file name and then appends the extension (TOC or TDM, IX, etc.) to the book name when creating generated files. In your book example, you  have "-V3" after the IX name and the TDM name appears to have a space after the "RGDP-V3" in one instance and "TDM2" in the other. This will confuse FM and it will treat these files as non-generated.

What you could do is to delete the TOC and IX from the book, then let FM create new a TOC (and select the same paratags that you had before) and IX. Once these have been created open the old TOC and IX file and import all the formats from these into your new ones. This should get you back to where you were.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines
Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One quick note: Fm differentiates the generated files from user files with the orange/black icons in the book window. Your screen shot validates the suspicions above that Fm is not recognizing your TOC and IX files as generated. Once you correct this following the earlier instructions, you will see the difference.

VMware Fusionss_011.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
community guidelines