• Español
      • Français
      • Português
  • 日本語コミュニティ
    Dedicated community for Japanese speakers
  • 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add 'Edge Aware' option in Camera Raw for 360 equirectangular dng images to remove seam

Community Beginner ,
May 10, 2024 May 10, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

For some reason 'edge aware' editing has been removed for 360° equirectangular DNG images which creates a seem when editing. However if you open a JPG from the same camera and use the Camera Raw filter it does use 'edge aware' but obviously you have lost all the extra colour data.

Support says it is becasue it is not recognised as a 'REAL'  360° image because the camera is 'not on the supported list', but this was never  a problem for the past 5+ years. The JPGs are recognised as 'real' but DNG's are not from the same camera. If this is down to meta data conflicts then a simple 'edge-aware' button would be an easy solution to tell it that it is an 'real' 360° equirectangular file. 

It seems Adobe is against 360 photograpy as it removed the 3D editing feature not so long ago?

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
4 Comments
Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Absolutely agree. I just found out when edditing my 360° aurora timelapse...

Please Adobe, stop removing things people love and use with your software...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 20, 2024 May 20, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I spoke with support and they said that it is very unlikely they will add any 360° cameras to the supported list for Adobe Camera Raw, but didn't give a reason. The seam is created because it doesn't recognise it as a 'real' equirectangular image which i think is down to the metadata or exif data, so doesn't active edge-aware editing. Maybe this is something that Insta360 needs to address with Adobe, because Adobe aren't interested in their customers opinions.

It seems that the increase in popularity of 360 and VR is of no interest to Adobe. They have removed the spherical mapping and now edge-aware for some DNG RAW, but nobody knows or can explain why?

I've read there is a way to do it in Affinity using macros, so going to investigate this further.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
May 28, 2024 May 28, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

OK i have an update... the edge-aware feature DOES still work but it requires 'gpano' metadata within the DNGs to activate the edge-aware editing. I believe this is actually an Insta360 Studio issue and i have contacted them about it. When Insta360 Studio exports a stitched JPG it adds the 'gpano' metadata (it's not in the camera file), but when it exports a stitched DNG it doesn't. I found a way to add the 'gpano' metadata to the DNG and it worked, but isn't straight forward and adds another (unnecessary) step to the workflow. Qoocam do include the gpano metadata in their DNGs hence why i never previously had this problem. I have attached a screenshot of the metadata that is missing from the DNG (which comes from the stitched JPG). Stitched-Metadata-JPG.jpg

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jun 01, 2024 Jun 01, 2024

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

a few days ago a client sent me some DNG from qoocam3 for inspection and i can confirm that the camera raw editing was 360° aware. thank you for your post, so i can check my insta360 for this ...

Votes

Translate

Translate