• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Ability to export 4K video

Explorer ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Since 2015, there are no more interesting inovations. I think it's an insolence that Lightroom can not export 4k video. That can't be a challenge for a programmer to provide a corresponding function. The are a lot of users asked for the support of PSB files in Lightroom, but Adobe do nothing. Adobe must be ashamed that file formats from their own house are not supported. For me is also a big mystery why Photoshop write  a file of more that 3GB for a picture with 2 layers. There are still a lot to do but Adobe presents us again and again only small chunks. I do not know how much longer I want to pay for it.

I feel confused as a customer.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
45 Comments
New Here ,
Sep 15, 2017 Sep 15, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I fully agree with you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wouldn't use Lr for video editing. If you want doing video you need other tools. And Ps files with 3 layers do not have 3Gb at my site. For this problem I would like to analyse your data, to see what's the problem.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Sep 16, 2017 Sep 16, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sur I have other tools to cut videos. Here is the talk of management of small fotage which I only slightly cut and do basic adjustment. For this kind of work are all video tools to big and to dificult. Also if I have a long video and I like to have only a short sequenc it will be great to do that with LR. It can not be so difficult to provide a corresponding function. LR can already exprort HD videos why not UHD? I can't understand that.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Apr 06, 2018 Apr 06, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Being able to export 4k video from Lightroom is important for users who like to have their clips organised within LR.  This is a really bad omission from the last few updates.  Fix a simple basic issue instead of adding new features. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Participant ,
Jul 09, 2018 Jul 09, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

We have yet another update for LR with no support for 4k video export.  Really pathetic from a company such as Adobe to ignore requests for basic options in a flagship product.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Oct 18, 2018 Oct 18, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

i recommend a powerful video converter and editor:Avdshare Video Converter, and you will find many useful functions in it.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 15, 2018 Dec 15, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

PLEASE, PLEASE bring us the ability to export slideshow video in 4K (i.e. 2160). Everyone is wanting to show slideshows on 4K conference room monitors, home TVs and even the new 4K monitors. It is hard to even find a 1080 TV larger than 27" these days, so why can't we have that feature (rather than forcing us to use Premiere Pro). Clients are beginning to gripe about seeing a 1080 slideshow following a 4K video direct from the camera and 4K still images. Thanks for "Just Doing It".

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 19, 2019 Aug 19, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

As a PC user, slideshows from LR are a great way to add a little pan and zoom quickly. I finish them in Premiere and display them on a modern (4k) display for clients. There are easier solutions for Mac users to render 4k quality pan and zoom automated slideshows via other software, but I'm using PC. I have to tell clients after they've seen the slideshow that they can look at the still images on a different monitor because the rendered video isn't a true representation of each picture. Maybe this is really demanding - I have no idea. But if it's not, it seems like a no-brainer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Sep 03, 2019 Sep 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

* can't export as 4K video - can only export as 1080p. Most monitors are retina & TVs are 4K - we need an update!
* 'export video' - exporting takes an insane amount of time ie 45 minutes to 8 hours... I checked on Mac 'Activity Monitor' how much RAM - uses minimal amount. Also was only using ONE core (my computer has 8) Of course I have tweaked all the right settings to maximum - still no effect.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Please give us the option to export 4k slideshows in YouTube-ready form.  Our customers are requiring it, and we really don't want to deal with another bit of software, let alone a video editing program.  

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Dec 04, 2019 Dec 04, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

hi about lightroom

4K tvs are now out, we need the slideshow to upgrade ASAP to 4K output for movie rendering of slide shows. I would like to present my work as big and as crisp as i can!

how long will this take??

cheers

g

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Jun 02, 2020 Jun 02, 2020

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Heey! Could you add this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Mar 06, 2021 Mar 06, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Why it's only possible to export a slideshow video in FHD? Is it only because of money, that we need to buy Photoshop for this basic feature?

I know, that I can do this in Photoshop, but Photoshop does't have the settings from Lightroom-Slideshow and it's way more complicated.

Give us 4k for slideshow video export PLS!!!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I agree.  But there is an option.

Next time you see Premiere Elements on sale, consider it for your 4K slide shows.  Oddly, there is more support for slide shows than in Premiere Pro.   Premiere Elements can read RAWs from Lightroom Classic, including the Develop adjustments if you have the XMP option on.   Premiere Pro can't read RAWs at all.  On top of that there are more options than in Lightroom for things like titles, motion titles, transitions, music tracks and narration.  Premiere Elements has good 4K output for any media playable in current TVs like a USB memory stick. 

Premiere Elements does have a free trial if you want to play with it!

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Mar 11, 2021 Mar 11, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add your upvote (green arrow) and Follow this request at the Photoshop Family forum. But don't hold your breath waiting for it to be implemented.

https://feedback.photoshop.com/conversations/lightroom-classic/lightroom-classic-ability-to-export-4...

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 12, 2021 Apr 12, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

4K is not new, I can manage 4k video in Lightroom without any problems, but unfortunately I cannot export these videos as 4K. Why? Is there so little demand for it?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I cannot speak for Adobe because I don't work for them, and I do very little work with video. However, Adobe has other products designed specifically for video, After Effects, Adobe Premier, just to mention a couple. If you really need serious video support then perhaps you should consider serious software. The video support in Lightroom is admittedly very basic because, as I understand it, video is not the primary concern of Lightroom. I don't know if 4K support is in the plans for the future. Asking Adobe isn't going to  be very productive because future plans are never discussed with users. I've given you my perspective, and it isn't worth much. Someone else may have a better perspective to offer.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I know After Effects I know Adobe Premiere, but I work with Davinci Resolve which is the perfect software for me. I also use Lightroom very intensively to manage my pictures. The volume of videos is increasing steadily, and I need a software that manages my videos, ideally also my pictures. Lightroom can already manage Videos only with the export of 4k happens.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe wants all product suggestions posted in the official feedback forum:
https://www.lightroomqueen.com/send-bug-report-feature-request-adobe/

Product developers read everything posted there, but rarely participate here, which is primarily a user-to-user forum.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Apr 13, 2021 Apr 13, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Lightroom is without a doubt the best image management software, a lot of users will certainly confirm that. There are programs that claim to be a Lightroom killer, but from my experience, these programs can keep up with Lightroom by far. I would like Lightroom to pay more attention to videos. After all, videos are gaining importance every day. As the first, exporting as a 4k video would be enough for me. I know that Lightroom is a very complex program, but such an export function can't be that difficult to implement.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Apr 15, 2021 Apr 15, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

christophek22525811,

You can export 4K videos for work in your NLE.... even if it is Resolve.

I have a video workflow you might try.   It is based on a couple assumptions.  I want Lightroom Classic to manage all of my photos and videos.  I want to do my video editing in an NLE, not Lightroom.  (I like Premiere Elements.  Unlike Pro, it has support for RAW photo files!)

Further, I want to only work on copies of original footage.   Last, when I build a video project I want everything from souce assets to project and scratch disks in one dedicated folder.  That makes backups and archives easier.  Since I use an SSD for that, it is also faster.  I keep original media on slower internal or external HDDs.  

In Lightroom Classic, make a collection, or some other selection, that includes your video files.  Then  Export those files to the a dedicated project folder.  To make that work you select "Original, unedited file".  Lightroom then puts the copies I want in my project folder.  When I'm done with the project, I can put a Import a copy of the finished video to the Lightroom Classic structure for reference and archive the entire project in one step.

image.png

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Jim, you wrote, "Adobe has other products designed specifically for video, After Effects, Adobe Premier,..."

Don't leave out Premiere Elements.  Unique to video editing programs, it has ACR built in.  If you turn on XMP sidecar files in Lightroom, Premier Elements will read the LR adjustments on import.  It opens up  a lot of creative possibilities for slideshow or mixed media videos. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

This may seem like a silly question, but…why do you need to specifically export the 4K video from Lightroom Classic? Is it so that you can have the clip to import in Resolve or other video applications?

The reason I ask is that you use Resolve, so I’ll assume there is no reason to make any video edits in Lightroom Classic because its video editing features are nothing compared to the powerful capabilities in Resolve. So I’ll assume you just want to organize in Lightroom Classic, and use the unaltered original 4K video in Resolve. If that’s the case, then…

Bill Sprague showed one way: Export with the Format set to Original, Unedited because it says it will be the full original 4K resolution, and that is in fact what it does.

But I think that is unnecessary, so I completely skip that step when using Lightroom Classic-managed video files in a video editor. Lightroom Classic knows the folder where the original file is stored (using Reveal in Finder/Explorer), so there is no need to export a duplicate of the video file if the video project is going to be edited on the same computer. Just import the original video.

I use Premiere Pro just because it’s what I have, so my workflow is:

1. Import everything from the camera into Lightroom Classic – stills and videos. Then I organize, cull, and rate the stills and videos. I do not edit the videos.
  2. When I want to make a video, I have Lightroom Classic and Premiere Pro open at the same time. 
  3. In the Lightroom Classic grid view, I select the video files I want to take to Premiere Pro.
  4. I drag all the selected video files from Lightroom Classic grid view, and drop them into the Project panel in Premiere Pro. Premiere Pro acts as if I had dragged them from the desktop (since the file references are all the same anyway), and imports them as expected.

Note: I’m using a Mac, and from what I hear, the Windows version of Lightroom Classic may not support drag-and-drop to other applications. In that case just right-click a video in Lightroom Classic, choose Reveal in Explorer, and Windows will show you the original file in its folder on the desktop for you to import into Resolve.

Regarding why Lightroom Classic doesn’t export edited 4K video files, that’s a good question. There’s no official word so we have to guess that it’s just a low priority for them at this time. But it does make Lightroom Classic a bit behind the times.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Conrad C,

You wrote, "Bill Sprague showed one way: Export with the Format set to Original, Unedited because it says it will be the full original 4K resolution, and that is in fact what it does.  But I think that is unnecessary"

Thanks for the drag and drop technique.  I tried it and it does not work in Windows.  You have to go via Explorer.   That will be handy and I will use it for smaller projects.  

My logic is different for a couple reasons.  One, I want copies of the source files on my SSD in a project specific folder to maximize speed and smoothness. Two, I also want to keep all originals from the camera in a Lightroom file structure.  I don't (!), but could screw up the originals so I edit copies.  (The "Export as original" should be named "Copy" or "Exact Copy".)  There is no process rendering or encoding going on.  Three, I like to make backups and archives of the entire project intact as one project specific folder.  If I use source footage that is on my HDD storage drive or an external drive, that makes keeping the backup or archive a little more complex.  Fourth, I've been doing it this way for ten years!  Why change now?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Sep 20, 2021 Sep 20, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hi Adobe, 

Wedding photographer here. Obviously I use Lightroom Classic extensively. I would love to suggest a (seemingly) simple update to the Lightroom Classic Slideshow module. I know it's not a popular module right now but I believe with the right tweaks, it can be much more utilized. But as of right now, I'm only able to export out the video in 1080p. As the world is moving to a 4K standard, I would love to see an option to encorporate this as an export setting. I'm having to recreate slideshows with other programs. I would love to keep my workflow within Lightroom Classic. 

-----------------------------------------

Post merged by Forum Moderator

Votes

Translate

Translate