• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: Add AI to the Transformation Panel tools

Community Beginner ,
Mar 17, 2023 Mar 17, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Transform panel AI in Lightroom Classic needs more training on how to spot vertical lines in architectural images. If there is AI involved with using "Auto", "Vertical", or "Full" buttons to fix the upright appearance of an image, it needs to be trained further to identify existing vertical lines better for more consistent results. 

App version 12.1

OS Ventura 13.0.1

Steps to reproduce: Using the vertical, auto, or full buttons in the transform panel on architectural images with multiple parallel vertical lines.

Expected results: Using the vertical, auto, or full buttons would transform the images so the vertical lines in the image are parallel with the lines in the grid overlay.

Actual results: Vertical lines in images are often not parallel to the grid overlay requiring manual guided drawing out of lines and updating the transform for more accurate alignment. 

This impacts my workflow because I spend 5-8 hours a week manually correcting the vertical alignment of my images using the "Guided" function in the Transform panel. This is necessary because Auto, Vertical, or Full do not consistently align the image sufficiently for architectural standards ("vertical lines should be vertical"). My images often have dozens of vertical lines with walls, joints, doors, windows, and cabinetry. However, LR continues to make alignment worse with the auto-adjustment options or does not fully fix the alignment. 

This issue has persisted across multiple Mac updates and LR updates over the last 8 years I've been using the product. Transform has improved over the years, but it still needs improvement to save users a lot of time and frustration from manually adjusting images more often than not. I estimate that 50-80% of the time, LR gets the vertical alignment wrong using the Vertical, Auto, or Full options. I use a geared head and level my camera quite close in the field, so I am surprised that the Transform tool often makes the images worse when all it needs is a small tweak to be vertical. 

Please train the AI to better recognize existing vertical lines in images; it is costing me so much time. Thank you!

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines
9 Comments
LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

AFAIK, there is no AI used (or to train here). 

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks for the response. What's your source for this?

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well for one, I'm a beta tester. I have never seen anything from Adobe this uses AI.

What's your source for believing there's AI used?

https://jkost.com/blog/2022/07/using-the-transform-panel-and-guided-upright-to-correct-perspective-i...

Author “Color Management for Photographers" & "Photoshop CC Color Management/pluralsight"

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The Transform tools are older tools and do not use AI. I will convert this to a feature request.

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I was just talking to Adobe Support earlier about the issue and took away
from their comments that it was an AI thing. No worries either way, I just
want to see it improved.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks, Rikk for the information. I appreciate you converting it to a
feature request. Thank you!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Mar 18, 2023 Mar 18, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I have always wondered that the automatisms in the Transform tool tall houses compared to a strictly vertical alignment above somewhat diverged. Until I found the explanation: This probably happens because our brain automatically corrects slightly converging lines when the viewer would have to lift not only the eyes but also the head to have, for example, the whole house in view. Lightroom does everything right from a photographic point of view. Maybe architects need geometrically correct alignment?
This effect is also known as Tarzan effect, wide shoulders on top and narrow hips.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

The other explanation is that image sensors are flat, while our eyes have a curved 'sensor'. If you tilt a flat sensor, then the perspective changes. If you tilt a curved sensor, then the perspective does not change. That is what we see, and so that is what we want to see in our images too.

-- Johan W. Elzenga

Votes

Translate

Translate

Adobe Employee ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

LATEST

No worries. As AI expands to improve our tools I am sure this is something we can consider. 

Rikk Flohr - Customer Advocacy: Adobe Photography Products

Votes

Translate

Translate