• 한국 커뮤니티
    Dedicated community for Korean speakers
Exit

P: IPTC information in Info Panel

Community Beginner ,
Dec 27, 2017 Dec 27, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Adobe needs to include IPTC information in the file INFO in Lr CC. This is the industry standard for file information and a requirement of most photo agencies, so why isn't it in CC? Cloud storage is great but without IPTC it's not of much use to those submitting to an agency.

Idea No status
TOPICS
macOS , Windows

Views

Translate

Translate

Community guidelines
Be kind and respectful, give credit to the original source of content, and search for duplicates before posting. Learn more
community guidelines

correct answers 1 Correct answer

Community Expert , Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

You can add metadata to multiple photos, you just have to be in Grid view.

Lightroom doesn't track every step as Develop History like Lightroom Classic does, but it does create an Auto Version when you switch to a different photo or back to Grid view.

Votes

Translate

Translate
46 Comments
Community Expert ,
Dec 28, 2017 Dec 28, 2017

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Can I confirm whether you're just wanting to confirm that existing IPTC data added in other software is retained when exporting photos - or whether you actually want to add IPTC data in LRCC?

LRCC's aimed at a primarily amateur audience at this point in time. I'm sure it'll grow in functionality in time, but that's a way off yet.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I want to add IPTC data to image files in Lr CC but it seems it's not ideal for my use. Why can't Lr Classic have cloud storage too as this is the aspect of CC I'm most interested in. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

When you have folder-based storage and cloud-based storage, they both want to be in charge of the files. It gets messy! But hopefully CC will add the features you need in time, as it gradually catches up with Classic, and then you'll be able to switch. There are ways to use both in tandem, but it gets a bit messy.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Aug 27, 2018 Aug 27, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Many of us are moving to iPad Pro for our primary editing device. Yes , all IPTC should be available on LR CC. Hope it happens soon.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 13, 2018 Oct 13, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I wish to switch from Lightroom Classic CC to Lightroom CC but I do not see any way to access EXIF information other than a few fields in Lightroom CC. I am using the Creative Cloud subscription for Lightroom on the desktop. Specifically, I have been using the "instructions" field to hold information on each image in Lightroom Classic CC but I am unable to see the "instructions" field in Lightroom CC. Does anyone know how to access the full EXIF information in Lightroom CC? Or at least the "instructions" field? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thank you Victoria for adding me to this thread so quickly. I agree 1000 percent with Phil and Al. How can we escalate the priority on adding options for IPTC which is a critical feature of a catalog system?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Only 2 people have voted on the request so far... the more votes, the sooner it's likely to be considered.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Where do we vote?

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Top right corner. You're one of the two (now three) who already voted, as it took your vote from your other thread.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 14, 2018 Oct 14, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks to those who have recently picked up on this issue and have added their views to this thread. Let's hope that Adobe will take on board our comments and provide us with the opportunity to add IPTC information to Lr CC in the near future.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

My vote for IPTC metadata to be added.

I don't agree that Lightroom CC is an amateur tool. It is a professional tool that is surprisingly powerful after only 1 year on the market but it lacks a few key features that hammer its capability to be used professionally in a productive way:
  1. Better export options (granular size and quality controls, DPI/print settings, TIFF and PNG formats)
  2. Edith with... (besides photoshop, I have more applications I want to use in my workflow)
  3. Smart albums
  4. IPTC metadata
Hence, my vote for this useful feature. 

I don't see why these features would be impossible to implement in a 1-year timeframe, if it doesn't happen it is by choice (not wanting professional to use it). Time to put doors and wheels on the car that already has a beautiful chassis and engine, so we can get in and out and actually get somewhere!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Beginner ,
Oct 24, 2018 Oct 24, 2018

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Well-stated!!   Adobe, please take note. Thank you.

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Jun 03, 2019 Jun 03, 2019

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I'm somewhat surprised this still only has eight votes.

What would be ideal here is if all IPTC fields in the standard were supported, but the user can enable/disable them based on if they use them in their workflow or not. Obviously defaulting to what the vast majority of users will use.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Aug 28, 2021 Aug 28, 2021

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Could a future update of Lightroom on the iPad feature an editor for IPTC metadata so that photojournalists can edit easier? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I really miss a function for adding metadata/IPTC to multiple photos in Lightroom CC. I also cannot find a way to track edits to a photo (history) in CC. For these two reasons I am leaving CC and going back to Classic, which I really don´t want to. I also would like this information to be easy to find on Adobe´s webpage, I found out by chatting to a member of Adobe´s staff. 

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jul 05, 2022 Jul 05, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can add metadata to multiple photos, you just have to be in Grid view.

Lightroom doesn't track every step as Develop History like Lightroom Classic does, but it does create an Auto Version when you switch to a different photo or back to Grid view.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 06, 2022 Jul 06, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Thanks @Victoria Bampton LR Queen ! Managed to add metadata to several photos by changing to grid view. But it seems to be a very limited number of characters I can type in the text field? Is that correct?

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 07, 2022 Jul 07, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

One more question @Victoria Bampton LR Queen : great feature that when you open a photo in Photoshop, via Lightroom, it updates the photo in Lightroom afterwards. But - it seems it overwrites the original in Lr? 

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Sorry for spamming you @Victoria Bampton LR Queen - I did not see the tiny "2" that showed up in the corner of the Photoshop edited photo in Lr, indicating it has two versions. My bad!

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Which text field are you hitting limits on? Are you getting an error message or what happens? You should just be able to keep typing and it'll scroll across, although that does make it hard to see the whole thing.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jul 08, 2022 Jul 08, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

I encountered this metadata problem yesterday, in the caption field in the info panel. The text was cut off after a number of letters. No error message. I tried several times, same thing happened. Today everything works... Can write as long as I want to it seems:-)

Votes

Translate

Translate

Explorer ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Ability to write IPTC metadata in Lightroom mobile for iPad such as Caption, location, photographer and all the other IPTC fields. Plus the ability to have an IPTC metadata template added on import.

Votes

Translate

Translate

LEGEND ,
Dec 17, 2022 Dec 17, 2022

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Moderators, @Rikk Flohr: Photography, please move to Lightroom Ecosystem Ideas.

Votes

Translate

Translate

New Here ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

Hello,

On iOS :

I want to copy the iptc info of a photo and apply this information to a selection of several photos

Votes

Translate

Translate

Community Expert ,
Jan 07, 2023 Jan 07, 2023

Copy link to clipboard

Copied

You can only copy a few pieces of information using LrM on iOS, and then you can only paste that information to other images one at a time. There's no option to apply the copied data to multiple selected images at the same time.

Votes

Translate

Translate